No announcement yet.

Why does ES trade inside the spread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott, Shaheed's answer was unequivocally wrong. I had assumed that the context of my question was entirely obvious from the nature of this thread, but as you look for alternative interpretations here is the question and answer together:

1) For a Tick Download to include Quote data do I need the BA entitlement?
    A: "[1] You do not need the Bid/Ask historical routing bit to download tick data."

Perhaps you could confirm the rest of the responses?

2) For a chart, especially from an efs point of view, the only charts that seem to benefit from the B/A entitlement are the the pure tick charts? This is because other tick-based charts have no access to BA data for historic bars and all charts have access to BA data for the live data feed (irrespective of the BA entitlement)
    A: "[2] Correct."

Have you ever tried, say, a 20000V chart on a BA server, it is like watching paint dry - several minutes to get enough bars for some indicators (CCI especially), Is the extra delay meant to be that long. Of course the new cacheing method doesn't help as the data has to be downloaded each time the bar size is changed (unlike before).

A: "[3] No, I have not tried to download the 20000V chart.

The servers which we are being used to store extra bid and ask history hold much much more data when compared to our other servers. Your reported time for download a chart when connected to those special servers seems about right.

I would suggest you experiment with a custom time template (to restrict the amount of data being requested when your page file initially loads a chart)

e.g. please try applying a 1 or a 2 day time template.

http://kb.esignalcentral.com/article...ticle=2242&p=1 (in particular, please pay close attention to point 5. in this knowledge base article).

[4] If you elect to cancel the special routing bit, you can still view bid and ask history in a time and sales window (cached from the time you connect). You will not be able to view historical Bid/Ask data."

--------------
    Also, subsequent to this my TSTQ post was not responded to by eSignal, despite, with hindsight, it obviously showing exactly the same unexpected delivery of b/a quotes that I'm seeing now.

Dave

Comment

Again, sorry for the confusion.

While users are routed to either a trade only tick server or a Trade/Quote tick server, we continue to stream b/a data in real-time. In terms of the trade/quote server, b/a should be OFF during regular market hours (except Forex). If you're seeing otherwise, then troubleshooting is required and best done by calling into a support center.

I did a 20000V chart and it took about 45 seconds to fill in. There's a lot of data being built on the desktop. In the future, the server will build the bars and send just the bar results. That'll happen next year and will greatly speed up these sorts of requests (much like a 1 min bar request now).

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X