24 Hour Daily Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 Hour Daily Charts

I run a system from midnight to 1300 (PST). In 8.0, everything worked just perfectly and a new bar would form at midnight and start ticking away.

In 10.3, I've noticed that a new DAILY bar forms right after the regular trading session ends (13:15 PST). So yesterday, after the markets closed, a new DAILY bar formed for March 10, 2009 while we were still on March 9, 2009. Why is this happening??

A new daily bar should not form on the chart until a NEW DAY begins??

On my NQ#F DAILY chart (24 hour dynamic) the open is reported at 1045.25. On the 5 minute chart (same time template), the open at midnight is reported at 1055.25. This is a very big difference and it is messing up my system.

My system starts trading at midnight PST and requires accurate data and a new bar formation AT MIDNIGHT to operate properly. Right now, this is not working properly and thus messing up my system..

BTW, it worked perfect in 8.0. Please help as this is costing me money.
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Re: 24 Hour Daily Charts

Brad

In 8.0, everything worked just perfectly and a new bar would form at midnight and start ticking away.
    Actually it did not work perfectly in 8.0. What happened in that version with instruments that trade 24 hours (such as ES, NQ, etc) is that during the period between the opening of the new trade date session [15:30 CT for ES or NQ for example] and midnight the program would combine the current daily bar with the data of the new session. So up until midnight the current daily bar was in effect based on the Open and the Close of the new trading session (instead of those of the current day) and the High and Low were the highest and the lowest between the Highs and the Lows of the current day and that of the new trading session. Then at midnight the program would create a new bar for the new trade date and restore the prior day's bar to its correct values.

So yesterday, after the markets closed, a new DAILY bar formed for March 10, 2009 while we were still on March 9, 2009. Why is this happening??
    That is because the session that begins at 15:30 CT is for the next trade date and eSignal correctly assigns to it that date

I disagree and in my opinion the way it is handled now is correct. As the session for the new trade date begins the chart should plot a daily bar with the appropriate trade date.

On my NQ#F DAILY chart (24 hour dynamic) the open is reported at 1045.25. On the 5 minute chart (same time template), the open at midnight is reported at 1055.25. This is a very big difference and it is messing up my system.
    The Open for today is in fact 1045.25 and is the first print at 15:30 CT (see the image of the values reported on the CME's page) and not the value at midnight.

As I explained to you in this thread ES and NQ have one continuous trading session that starts at 15:30 of the day prior to the trade date and ends at 15:15 of the trade date
    Alex

Originally posted by Doji3333
    I run a system from midnight to 1300 (PST). In 8.0, everything worked just perfectly and a new bar would form at midnight and start ticking away.

In 10.3, I've noticed that a new DAILY bar forms right after the regular trading session ends (13:15 PST). So yesterday, after the markets closed, a new DAILY bar formed for March 10, 2009 while we were still on March 9, 2009. Why is this happening??

My system starts trading at midnight PST and requires accurate data and a new bar formation AT MIDNIGHT to operate properly. Right now, this is not working properly and thus messing up my system..

BTW, it worked perfect in 8.0. Please help as this is costing me money.

Comment

Thank you Alex. That means I'll have to address my system and recode the OPEN as of MIDNIGHT to address this issue.

Maybe I'll just have to change my system to trade 24/7??

Again, thank you very much for your quick reply with clear data supporting my error. Hope all is well.

B
      Last edited by Doji3333; 03-10-2009, 07:25 AM.
      Brad Matheny
      eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Working...
      X