Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer performance issue

Hi:
    I am experiencing very slow and time-outs when I connect to E Signal. I think it is my computer but I am wondering anyone has any suggestions. What I have done is:
    1. Check my computer speed - I am downloading at 245kb
    2. I have 512 RAM - I have max'ed out this box.
    3. I am running dual 485 processor chipsets.
    4. Windows Task Manager - I have monitored my time-outs and my box just says "not responding." It taeks about 2 minutes for my chart to come back on a good day or I just shut Esignal down with the other applications and start fresh.
    5. I am running the Advanced Get add-on and I monitor the E-mini's. Typically the 1 & 5 min charts.
    6. My tech person said I can upgrade to a faster chip and RAM combination and before I do this I wonder if the more experienced users - Alex, etc. have any advice?
    Thanks,
    Harndog

Hi Harndog,

Thank you for your post. Before we get into your hardware specifics and recommended improvements, please review this FAQ on potential software causes first.

Here's the link.

Let me know of any findings that you may discover as a result of this.

Regards,
    Andy

Comment

In a problem similar to Harndog's, I use TS2000i with esignal on a 1.7gig processor with 512mb RAM. I have 4 workplaces usually open with 6-9 charts on each, but all indicators update only at the end of bars (each tick update is turned off everywhere).

When the market speeds up, my charts usually get behind (up to 45sec), although I have watched the esignal charts and it doesn't seem to have that problem, so for whatever reason, I still don't have a fast enough computer for TS2000i. Enough babble.

The last 3 weeks, I have begun to get interrupts (cursor turns to hourglass) while watching charts, even during off hours when volume should be next to nothing. Looking at the task manager, the server.exe program goes from 0% to 40% of resources, like every 2 seconds. When it does, I get the hourglass on the cursor, and everything freezes for a second or so. It makes adding fib indicators, etc. very difficult because sometimes the indicator gets altered, probably due to some lost command when the server.exe program interrupts. It completely crashed one of the workspaces last week.

I would LOVE to find out how to improve my datafeed so I wouldn't get interrupts like this ........ even better to figure out why the datafeed into Globalserver can't keep up during fast times.

Thanks for any help,
      Phil

Comment

Sorry, also went to the FAQ site you mentioned this weekend. I am totally current on Windows upgrades, and am using esignal ver 7.0. I will upgrade to ver 7.4, and maybe that will make a difference ......hope so, but can't check it until tonight when bonds start.

Phil

Comment

Speed

Nothing helps more that raw speed. For the last 10 years market volumes have doubled every 2 years and trading contracts like the emini are doubling every 6 months or so.

So a perfectly good machine two years ago is half the speed in today's market.

Since you are moving data from the internet into the bus, to the cpu, and to the graphics cards besides the CPU speed the biggest improvements on the new PCs is the bus speed which isn't talked about much but is the most critical for real time applications.

If your charts are lagging that much you need more power. Also get XP Pro which has the latest, greatest for performance on the internet.
          Chuck
          @eSignal

Comment

Computer Upgrade

Hi:
            Thanks for the information. Here is the box I am looking at:

1. 2.6GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor w/HyperThreading, 512MB RAM, 80GB hard drive, 48X24X48 CD-RW/16X DVD-ROM, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, Windows XP Pro
            2. I am also looking to upgrade the RAM with another 512MB.
            3. I am also looking to upgrade the video card as I use a 4 monitor video card right now.

Harndog

Comment

I hear you, Chuck, and I am slowly learning that gaming computers are probably best for charting applications, because they emphasize speed. I don't know what my bus speed is, but it is probably low.

I still don't understand why I would be getting the interrupts at 5 and 6am (EST) when incoming data should be at a minimum. This started occurring when I switched from a stock/emini package to an all future package (with delayed stocks). I also purchased Uniserver at the same time (great timing), but I have uninstalled it and continue to have the interrupts.

Is there something I can do with configuration on esignal (or TS) to improve the flow of of data?

Thanks,

Phil

Comment

Speed

You are exactly right, the closest PC type is a gaming computer.

With TS, I'd get 1GB of memory - the good news is memory is cheap. And get lots of memory on the graphics cards.

eSignal doesn't use the disk much but TS does.

Also the Intel people tell us this hyper-threading is a lot like 2 CPUs in one. The latest high end PCs have the faster buses. Dell's site is talking about a 800mhz FSB bus - but I am not sure what that is ...
                Chuck
                @eSignal

Comment

Originally posted by phlsti
                  ...and am using esignal ver 7.0. I will upgrade to ver 7.4, and maybe that will make a difference ......hope so, but can't check it until tonight when bonds start.

Phil
                  Hi Phil,

I want to add that we had some known freeze issues in 7.0. This was corrected in a later version (prior to 7.4). I highly recommend you do upgrade to 7.4. Let us know how that works out for you.

Regards,
                  Andy

Comment

Thank you both for the timely replies. I'll let you know if the ver 7.4 helps ............. otherwise, it looks like it's time to upgrade computers

Comment

The version 7.4 upgrade helped a lot. Much less hourglass indications, and I can install fib indicators much easier.

Just need to plan for a faster computer now

Thanks for your help.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                      X