Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5th digit of resolution on CHF, EUR, CAD and others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5th digit of resolution on CHF, EUR, CAD and others.

An unexpected change was made on one of our internal systems that has several of the main Forex composite symbols displaying a 5th digit of resolution.

Examples:

CAD A0-FX
    CHF A0-FX
    EUR A0-FX

We've typically kept the composite to 4 digits of resolution (x.xxxx) and let the individual contributors that traded in higher resolution show the 5th digit on their specific symbol (CAD@TDFX A0-FX for ex).

We invite your feedback on whether you like this change or would prefer us to show just 4 digits of resolution on the composite symbol again (currently still being done for GBP A0-FX).

Thanks.

You are quite right it was unexpected, I thought I had a corrupted file as some symbols were showing an extra two digits.

I do not like the change at all, especially the lack of notification about it. If such a change is to be implemented, at least have the common courtesy to let your customers know about it.

I'd rather have the ability to set the decimal places myself, then I can customize the entire chart how I want rather than live with someone in management dictate what I see.

Change it back as it was please or give us the ability to customize that right hand column.

Comment

5th Decimal

I agree with Patch_555.

I do not like the 5th decimal. Just 4 digits please.

Please let the us have the ability to customize our charts.

Dan

Comment

[i]Originally posted by Patch_555]

If such a change is to be implemented, at least have the common courtesy to let your customers know about it.

I'd rather have the ability to set the decimal places myself, then I can customize the entire chart how I want rather than live with someone in management dictate what I see.
        We certainly regret the lack of notification. We were surprised by the change as well as it was a result of poor internal communication between different engineering groups. Our procedures are usually much tighter as we do understand the importance of notifying users prior to changes like this one.

On the issue of 5 digits of resolution, there does appear to be a significant, and growing, amount of support for displaying the 5th digit of resolution as more and more Forex brokers support that 1/10th of a pip resolution.

If we let users display 4 or 5 digits, we'd actually be truncating accurate data, something we don't typically do. If you are using a broker that still only supports the 4th digit of resolution, have you tried entering a single contributor symbol (EUR@LH A0-FX for ex)? You'll see that Euro spot has only 4 digits since that contributor is only sending 4 digits. The composite symbol (EUR A0-FX) contains many contributors so that's why we are showing the 5th digit (vs bouncing back and forth between 4 and 5).

Comments and additional discussion is welcome.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for filling us in on the details for the change to 5 decimal places on FX pairs.

I noticed the change and share the view of others in that I prefer to only see 4 decimal places. Previously I managed to do this in preferences by switching off the 'show full price precision' box - now if I check this I get 6 decimal places - way over the top.

I use eSignal for analysis only (i.e. I don't trade via eSignal) and therefore the 5th decimal place adds no value to me, it just gets in the way and confuses things. Its much more difficult to do some quick math in pips when there's a 5th decimal place (1/10 pip) in the way all the time.

I could imagine that others who trade via eSignal straight to a broker may like the 5th decimal place, but I'd like to request the ability to switch it off please. The suggested solution of using a single contributor seems like a convenient workaround - I pay for eSignal primarily for the aggregate fx data from multiple contributors so to drop back to one contributor no sense to me.

Could you please try to make the 5th decimal place an option and keep us in the loop on any updates to this issue?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X