E-Mini Futures Volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Mini Futures Volume

I always saw differences between volume reported by the time and sales window and the volume study (I'm looking at ES #F and NQ #F). It is especially apparent on 1 minute charts. While trying to figure out why this occurs, I found that five 1 minute bars wouldn't add up to one 5 minute bar. I then found that if I reloaded the data from the server, the volume study numbers change and then match the T/S volumes (and the five 1 minutes now add up to the 5). Now I see that this condition only exists for bars that are produced "real time" and not for bars created using historical data. I noticed this months ago and reported it via email to eSignal and got a "looking into your problem" form letter in return. I have heard nothing since then and feel this is very important issue since it affects not only custom EFS studies but also basic studies like OBV and volume weighted MAs. I mentioned this in a Time and Sales forum but I think that my comments were overlooked since they were slightly off topic, so I created this new thread. Anyone have a comment or insight into this problem?

Rich
    Last edited by bassocat5; 11-28-2003, 04:13 PM.

Rich,

Check out this link . Based on what you are describing, the discussions on this link may provide some help.

Comment

Thanks but that's not it

Thanks for the reply but that link isn't related to what I am talking about. It's not a timing issue, I can live with some volume slipping from one bar into another. In the case I am pointing out, large portions of volume just disappear entirely. In yesterday's NQ data, almost 10% of the total day's volume is missing. In one bad stretch, between 10:42 and 10:52am EST, almost 25% of total 1 minute bar volume was dropped. I have a fairly powerful setup, a 2.6 ghz CPU w/ 1/2 a gig of memory running win2k so I don't believe I am dropping this data. Besides, this type of volume dropout occurs even at 2am with only a few advance charts/efs studies running. Anyone else got a suggestion?

Comment

Rich,

I am assuming that the loss of volume numbers occurs in the efs. Based on this assumption, as part of your troubleshooting, what I would suggest is putting a debugPrintln statement in to print out the the current bars volume, the previous 5 bars volume and any volume summations you may want to make. Then run the code in Real time and what I believe you will see is that bars -1 through -5 will add up and be comparative to the 5 minute number. When in similar situations, this has been my experience. Something to try...

Comment

Debug Println

Steve,

I have a programming background and I have created an efs similar to what you describe. The volume does not end up adding up to the 5 minute. The volume DOES end up adding up to the the "normal" 1 minute volume study. Unfortunately, the 1 minute study numbers are missing trade volume (volume that magically shows up in the volume study when I do a reload of data from the server). There IS an EFS/ mini-futures problem that I know about where the EFS code is not running on every trade but on every change in transaction price(and/or every newbar). This condition might be related to my problem, but eSignal has not told me so. I was hoping that this thread would contribute to a temporary (if not permanent) solution for my problem. Once again, thanks for your input.

Rich

Comment

Working...
          X