Forex intraday data problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Steve,

Allowing a single contributor to populate a chart is certainly under consideration but there's quite a bit involved so I definitely don't see it happening for 7.7 ( due in June ). Beyond that, I don't have a specific list of future enhancements but interest in Forex is certainly rising steadily so we are actively looking at ways to enhance our overall Forex offering.

By many accounts, having over 200 contributors is a good thing but we do see the value in letting the user determine which contributors they want to follow directly.

Thanks.

Comment

Scott

Do you when we will be able to get daily charts for forex that will the next day starting at 5 pm eastern time, which is the market practice? Currently, the next day bar does not appear till past midnight.

Comment

Hi,

I do not have an ETA for that functionality but we do have it on our development list.

Thanks.

Comment

Scott,

In addition to "Allowing a single contributor to populate a chart" functionality, do you consider direct forex broker feeds such as GAIN Capital, Saxobank and HotspotFXi instead of GTIS?

I have used Aspen Graphics for Gain Capital and Aspen Graphics for Comstock. A good comparison because exactly identical charting platform powered by two different feeds, one GAIN's dealable/tradable quotes, the other GTIS's indicative prices. I feel the single broker executable quotes version much better: clean, clear, stable, exactly reflecting the broker client's trading reality; while the GTIS version though claimed to accommodate 200 or so contributors, including allmost all big players in the industry, but so what? The short-term time frame intraday charts are too sensitive, disturbing, and the rapidly frashing "indicative" quotes distracting. Same feeling with FutureSource and CQG, both considered to be decent FX quote vendors and both use GTIS as their primary FX source. CQG comes with two FX services, Comprehensive FX ($100/mo) and FX Index ($60/mo). When charting I always like the FX Index, unfortunately it's not quite up to the market, while the more expensive Comprehensive FX is too sensitive and distracting. So a decent single source tradable quote feed is the way to go.

Besides, a direct broker feed will greatly reduce the $50/mo monthly Forex data fee which I think most part goes to GTIS licensing. Only problem is GTIS's affiliation with eSignal's sister company, FT Interactive Data.

Comment

Hi Ou Yang,

You make some excellent points here. Actually, Gain Capital and FXCM are both contributors to the GTIS feed so they would be good examples of allowing a single contributor to populate the charts.

We're actually already on this path with one of other product lines, Tahoe Charts. Tahoe Charts is a scaled down version of Advanced GET and part of the initiative is to allow a variety of data sources to populate the charts, including brokers like IB, Gain, FXCM, etc.

Eventually, we'll look at using these new data integration tools for eSignal and at that point, it would be very easy to allow an eSignal user to get data from one of the supported feeds. No ETA at this point but keep your eye on these forums!

Thanks.

Comment

What is wrong with eSignal’s Forex data feed? I just paid $50 for this service 2 weeks ago. It happens to me so many times that I am a kind of unhappy. If data is not reliable, it’s hard to get the analysis done correctly. Look at today’s (5/7/2004) Eur A0-FX daily bar, it was opened at around 1.20xx for whole day. This evening, I open eSignal to wrap my trade, the opening is 1.1890. The bar is so ugly that it looks like something is happening to the Forex market. Since I have been watching it for all day, I know the bar is not correct. It is VERY scary to see a bar like that. For those who believe the data may rush into some losing trades. Who is going to be responsible for losing money because of incorrect data feed??

Comment

Apex,

We are researching this issue. We did have a few issues on our side on Friday afternoon that may have caused that strange bar to appear. I'm working with our QA Team to this track down. On the plus side, I do see that the bars are repaired today. More to follow as I recieve it.
                Regards,
                Jay F.
                Product Manager

Comment

It has been confirmed that there was an issue on Friday with our History Servers (the servers that save Daily data), and that that issue along with the errors it created have been corrected.
                  Regards,
                  Jay F.
                  Product Manager

Comment

Data Feed issues

I don't see any change in the chart (10 and 15 min) if the data feed has been fixed. This problem has seriously messed with my Stochastic RSI indicators...when will the history be fixed completely?

Comment

Hi Scott / Jay,
                      The problem with the incorrect daily data bar on 26 April 2004 is still present on the daily charts (delayed data) of:

GBPCHF A0-FX
                      EUR A0-FX
                      EURJPY A0-FX
                      CAD A0-FX

Also, I know its been mentioned countless times, but the quality of the intraday (and now daily) data is a serious issue. The spikes / incorrect ticks on the majority of Forex charts make the data and the indicators applied to it untrustworthy and unreliable.

Is there any way eSignal can move this issue to a higher priority (obtaining a solution in weeks, not months or longer)?

I agree with the solutions offered by the fellow eSignal users in this forum - a single data source (such as the FXCM / NetDania charts I've seen) would be fine for me - making it a lot closer to my Brokers data.

Thanks,
                      Paul

Comment

There is another example:

On 5/13/2004 late evening before midnight, I started eSignal and wrote down the OHLC for the Eur a0-fx daily bar. It was
                        (1.1805, 1.1824, 1.1792, 1.1813).

On 5/14/2004 12:00 AM, I started eSignal and worte down the Eur a0-fx daily bar for 5/13/2004. It was
                        (1.1907, 1.1931, 1.1772, 1.1809). It is at front of my eye right now, believe it or not. How can that be? There is such a big difference.

I download Eur a0-fx everyday from eSignal. I compare the bar-data against the same bar downloaded on previous day. I find that the opening price, for example, is almost always different, and I have to modify it. How can that be?? Opening price should never change once it is opened, isn't it? Equities data seem OK, but only the Forex data.

I think this problem is very serious. I suggest to look into the software that handles the Forex data.

Comment

It's 9:30 PM, 5/14/2004, I open eSignal advanced chart to look at Eur A0-FX daily bar. It's OHLC is (1.1888, 1.1903, 1.1781, 1.1888). It is impossible. I was trading at midnight last night. I saw the opening was around 1.1810. I am sure that tomorrow when I start eSignal this bar will be different. It seems to me that it changes every time I start eSignal. I simply don't understand why this is happening. Could somebody look into this problem?

Comment

Just as we I mentioned, I compared today's download of 5/13/2004 Eur daily bar with today's download of the same daily bar.

Yesterday's download = (1.1805, 1.1824, 1.1792, 1.1813)
                            Today's download of same bar = (1.1907, 1.1931, 1.1772, 1.1811)

Consider yesterday;s download was not correct, because it was downloaded before 12:00AM (not closed for the day yet). I would say, at least the opening should be consistant. A difference of 100 pips is significant. It is not conclusive to say that the other three prices are incorrect. But since the open is not correct, the others may not be trustful...

Comment

Hi apex3824,

We are researching this and trying to replicate in-house. Thanks for the specific examples. Keep em coming if you continue to discover discrepancies.

Thanks.

Comment

Different servers as problem?

I was wondering if the differences could be information sharing (or not sharing) between your plethora of servers? I know that some of your servers handle tick bars on the Euro FX, and some don't. That means that depending on the random selection of the server when logging into eSignal can determine if a strategy can be run or not.

It seems that the common thread is that people "log in the next day"...could be the server logged in to is different?

Novice user, but long time techie,
                                Sherri Young

Comment

Working...
                                X