volume doesn't add up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volume doesn't add up

I compared a 1-minute chart of ES M4 with Time&Sales and a Tick chart. None of the volume reported for the same minute agree.

Sometimes the discrepancy is HUGE!

So which reported volume is the actual volume that occured during any particular 1 minute of trading? The volume on the 1-min chart, the T&S, or Tick chart?

Why don't these numbers agree with eachother? I guess I don't mind if they disagree by a dozen or so contracts, but sometimes the T&S disagrees with the 1-min by several hundred, and the Tick seems to report several thousand contracts more than either T&S and the 1-min.
    Last edited by checkraise; 04-19-2004, 12:28 PM.

There is a known problem in the minute-based charts, wherein the charts don't update unless there is a price change. This mostly is seen on the volume study, but also affects volume related studies or EFS formulas. If you switch your chart to a tick-based interval (i.e. 60s, 300t), then this problem does not occur, and the chart will match perfectly with Time & Sales.

This is something that is on our list to address, however an ETA is not currently available.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply Jay. Please clarify which volume is correct on the following:

On 4-19-04, the ES M4 10:10 bar on the 60s shows 3,867 volume, the 1-min shows 4,020 volume, and T&S adds up to 3,962 for that minute.

If the 1-min bar doesn't update until there is a price change, wouldn't the volume reported on the 1-min be LESS than the 60s and T&S?

And why don't the 60s and T&S match up perfectly?

I trade a setup which triggers a trade when a 1-min volume bar of more than 4,000 contracts appears, so the volume for me it critical.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X