Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64bit Support

Hello,

I've just bought a new computer (Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, Windows XP PRO, 4GB RAM) and my dealer recommends installing a 64bit CPU to better handle my trading applications.

My eSignal version is 10.2.1375.1026 (10/6/2008). Does it support a 64bit environment? Will I enjoy enhanced and better eSignal performance after changing to 64bit?

Thank you,

Nissan

eSignal is a 32 bit application. 64 bit will not help it directly (at this time. I have no idea about any plans for 64 bit migration).

It would also be an error to assume that an app moving from 32 bit to 64 bit will run faster. This is not always the case, and we have seen some that even run slower.

Garth
    Garth

Comment

64 bit

Hello Garth,

Thank you for your reply.

As a Power User I need to have available at least 3GB RAM. Unfortunately, with my display adapters (and probably other drivers I have in my computer) the RAM that is available is only 2.75GB. My understanding is that moving to 64bit will avail more RAM to the system. This is the reason I wish to move to 64bit, but I wanted to make sure first that my eSignal will continue functioning at least as before. Please let me know your opinion about that.

Thank you for your support,

Nissan

Comment

I am led to believe esignal will run on a 64bit system, I would suggest Vista over XP64 personally, if you give me about a week, i will letyou know for sure as I have just installed a version on a Vista64 machine but not had time to try it yet, still sifting through the versions for the best working one.
        Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

Comment

A week on 64bit Vista and esignal works fine, using Ver 10.1.1291.910 (1/14/2008)
          Few asthetic annoyances with buttons on chart toolbars, but nothing that impairs the running of the program.

One does have to wonder if we are still ironing out problems with Vista, how are we going to cope with Windows 7. Vista was not that widely taken up, 7 will be the next big take up.
          Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

Comment

I've been forced to run eSignal on Vista x64 for a while now. As you say it work fine (eSignal running as a 32 bit app under the 64 bit OS) other than some cosmetic things.

I posted this under another thread, but you will find that unless you run the DM and eSignal as administrator, some of the tools (like the backtester) will have some issues.

re: Win7. In my experience user adoption drives ISV investment in an OS. When only a small % of your customers are running an OS, why put too many resources into testing and fixing. If a large % of your base is using it, that changes the picture.

With the economy the way it is, you may not see as much adoption of win7 as you might expect. It does look much better than Vista, but if you are not planning on spending for new HW, why upgrade your OS?
            Garth

Comment

Working...
            X