Hooray Signal 10.3!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooray Signal 10.3!

Tried posting this into the "Beta" thread, but it would not let me post anything there??

I downloaded 10.3 over the weekend. I was running 8.0 prior to this because I found it more stable for my applications than the last 10.x apps.

I would like to thank the developers at eSignal for this new app as it appears to be very nice with many improvements.

I've found very little problems so far with my apps. I'm still testing, but wanted to state that everything (so far) looks great.

I have afew questions??

_ is 10.3 multi-threaded for dual/quad core processors?
    _ I did notice a massive "slowdown" this am after the open?? Is this a data issue?? Would multi-threading not help reduce these types of "hangs". Btw, esignal was still opperating, but the screen refresh/chart were up to 30 minutes behind the markets??

Now that the market is a bit more calm - everything is working fine.

_ I went thru the README and PDF. I'm looking for improvements that relate to speed and operation of many charts and complex EFS apps. All of my advanced EFS apps are running PERFECTY, but speed still seems to be an issue. Are there any specific improvements that can take advantage of multi-processors?? If so/not, what/when can we expect this upgrade?

I get 100% CPU usage VERY OFTEN and when it happens, my entire system just HANGS.

Here is some information for you to consider :

Current system : AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
    2GB RAM
    XP Pro (SP2)
    eSignal 10.3 (11 charts running and multiple advanced EFS apps running)

I don't think my computer hanging is an issue with my systems?? The esignal app constantly uses 90%+ of the CPU. Most of my EFS apps run between 0.03~7.5 (ms) in the Performance Monitor.

I also have a dual-core system I can test on if esignal support it??

Contrats for all the hard work on 10.3. Looks great so far.
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Hello Brad,

Glad to hear 10.3 is going well for you. Data hibernation is one of the large improvements in this area, and it has a great impact of improving performance for many eSignal users. EFS performance has also been generally improved in 10.3.

Regarding your questions on performance and multi-threading, our developers have been actively working on bringing support for multi-core processors. We are anticipating this to be released in the first half of this year.

While eSignal 10.3 does have multiple threads running at the same time, the data and GUI is processed under the same thread. This could lead to a pause in the painting of streaming data, when a big push of data flows in. Separating out the data processing from the GUI processing is the main focus of this development work.

We are also working on optimizing eSignal for 64-bit processing. With the prevalence of this processor type, especially on machines designed for processor intensive work, we feel it is the right time to put focus on this area as well. We are also anticipating that this work will be completed within the first half of this year.

On the subject of the beta forums, it is common practice for us to close the beta forums shortly after the release of a product. We clear out the history of the previous posts to ready the forum for the next release.

Thanks again for the feedback on 10.3. We look forward to working with you and the rest of the eSignal community to make the product even better!
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

I may have spoken too soon...

I'm getting lots of "HANGING" issues with 10.3. I've also noticed the DAY OF WEEK feature of the EFS language may be a bit off. I have a funtion in my code that alters the start time for FRIDAY. Every day this week, 10.3 thinks it's FRIDAY.

My slowest PC is having the worst problems. I can't get the RIGHT-CLICK menu to pop up today. The esignal app is running VERY SLOW and I'm not getting updated charts. It's now 7:30 am and I've experienced esignal HANGS of over 30 minutes on my 2 and 3 minute charts.

Non responsiveness and continued maxing out of the CPU make for a really UNPRODUCTIVE realtime charting application.

Do you guys test with average types of PCs or just with the "super high-end PCs"?? Also, do you guys test with multiple charts open (like 15+) and running advanced EFS scripts??

I strongly suggest you address the SPEED issues and the data issues AS FAST AS POSSIBLE and forget about adding new features for a while. I'm going to let it run today, but if it does not get any better, I'm going back to 8.0 for stability and continued operation.

It seems like the most recent updates are fine for people running 1~3 charts with no advanced EFS features. I'm running 16 charts with automated systems on all of them. I used to have a client that loaded 200+ charts every day and it ran just fine. I doubt he could get past 20 charts now with 10.3.

Heck, my quote window showed yesterdays quotes till 7:15 AM today. There has to be a solution to this problem and again I strongly suggest you address the SPEED issues before you try to make any more improvements.

I was really hoping 10.3 would address some of these issues and result in a more stable environment for advanced EFS utilities. Funny how 8.0 and earlier versions did not have these problems (as bad)? The constant 97% CPU usage is most likely the root problem.

Hope this helps and I would really like to see these issues resolved soon. If you need any further information or assistance in resolving these issues, please let me know??

B
      Brad Matheny

Comment

7:54 Update...

It appears that all of the problems I just reported are due to "Morning Volume". My systems have all started to react more like normal now and my RIGHT-CLICK menus are responsive again.

From my own analysis, the YM has 207k of volume right now and yesterday it has 234K.

I strongly believe the issues with the CPU usage and the amount of volume/ticks flowing are the root cause of this problem. I sugget addressing the Adv. Charts, the EFS Engine/Graphics and the Data Flow as soon as possible. Addressing multiple processors may help, but the markets are only going to increase in volume/ticks in the future. If esignal can't handle the volume right now with my advanced EFS (auto-trading) scripts, then these problems are only going to get worse..

BTW, one of the most annoying issues with the current esignal app is the CPU usage. When the CPU is being used to 100% ALL THE TIME by esignal, even typing this message becomes a chore. Because the CPU is MAXED OUT, other applications are VERY SLOW or NON-RESPONSIVE.

FYI, my EFS scripts do quite a bit with GRAPHICS. Although I typically run custom time-templates limiting the # of bars to try to speed up eSig. I'm reporting this because I believe the issues are related to how I'm using esignal. I believe a more simple user (2~5 charts with simple indicators) may not be experiencing the same types of issues I have.
        Brad Matheny

Comment

Hmmmm... Something I found that is interesting..

When I reported the volume on the Daily chart at just before 8AM, it read 207k. Now, nearly 2 hours later, it still reads 207k???

I've removed it and reloaded it, but it still reads 207k???

Loading the volume on my 3 min chart, I see there has been well over 10k of additional volume since 8AM that is not being reported on the Daily volume??

I don't know what to think about this problem???
          Brad Matheny

Comment

Well, I'm going back to 8.0 again. I can't do anything with 10.3 because of the HANG issues and other related problems. I've not been able to use my esignal for at least an hour now. The right-click menu and the application simply are not responding (because of the volume). My charts are 30 minutes old and I have no updates in price for at least 30+ minutes. The Daily volume of the YM still says 207K and the markets just closed. I can almost guarantee the volume increased at least 1k from 8AM to 1PM.

I would really like to be able to use your newest versions, but as long as they act like "pet rocks" (sit there and do nothing), then I simply can't. I have clients on 10.2, but they are only using 2~4 charts at a time.

I really suggest you address the SPEED issue ASAP. If esignal is not able to keep up with the volume of the markets, then there is a problem.
            Brad Matheny

Comment

We'll continue to monitor the performance issues as they relate to 10.3 but all our initial testing indicated significant improvements over previous 10.xx versions. We are looking at a fairly quick move towards 10.4 and we do expect to have some initial support for multi-threading and 64 bit processing so our efforts are certainly ongoing in terms of making the app as efficient as possible.

Thanks.

Comment

Scott,

I can't wait to try 10.4 when it's available. I know you guys are working on many things and my comments are not intended to be negative in any way. I'm just reporting what I'm seeing/experiencing on my PCs (with my advanced EFS scripts and auto-trading systems).

I know you guys want to make the newest versions of esignal much better than the earlier versions and I can't wait for that to happen (for me and others).

I will report this, after I went back to 8.0 (last night), the HANG issues have virtually vanished. I'm sure they'll creep up with heavy volume, but so far today - NO HANG and esig is responsive.

I have noticed the Daily Volume (on the YM #F) seems to still be there. Don't know why?? It is reporting 242.316K right now and that number has not changed in a while??

One thing I also noticed on the Daily charts with 10.3 (using a 24 hour time template) is that a NEW DAILY BAR would form after the markets closed (at 1:15 PM PST). I know this is not correct as the NEW DAY did not start at 1:15PM. You might want to check into it.

I'm still getting MAXED CPU use on my PCs, but for whatever reason, 8.0 handles everything much better. All of my PCs (even my slower PC) is responding much faster and without many delays.

If you need someone to do some advanced testing with BIG/ADVANCED efs files, let me know?? Some of my EFS scripts are well over 3000 lines in lengh and one of them uses LIB files extensively. I'm also running multiple automated trading systems in esignal, so this could be something you might want to test.

You know my email if you want to discuss anything off this board.
                Brad Matheny

Comment

Hello Brad,

Can you send us some of your advanced formulas and page files? We would like to have our engineers test these.

There is a known efficiency problem with .efsLib files as they get larger. We start so see some problems with these files that have 1000 or more lines of code.

Try some tests with your advanced studies that do not utilize any .efsLib files and see if you notice any improvements.
                  Jason K.
                  Project Manager
                  eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
                  JavaScript for EFS Video Series
                  EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
                  EFS Glossary
                  Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Jason,

Let me see what I can provide to you. Most of the projects I've developed are under contract with my clients (NDAs). So, I would be crossing a line that could get me into lots of trouble if I shared the code/concepts with anyone.

The projects that I've developed on my own are a different story, but I still have to protect my interest (and hard work) with regards to my analysis models, systems and other work. I'm sure you understand.

If there is anything I can run here for you and report back to you the outcome, that would probably be best for all involved (without breaching any legal boundaries)?? I'll be happy to run tests for you or report problems as I find them. I could even fire up my new PC (Dual-Core) for this purpose.

If you want to chat about a solution, give me a call (909) 584-4945 or email me.
                    Brad Matheny

Comment

Hello Brad,

Understandable. I was under the impression you had something for us to test. Please report any specific problems you encounter with EFS to our EFS Studies forum.

Thanks,
                      Jason K.
                      Project Manager
                      eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
                      JavaScript for EFS Video Series
                      EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
                      EFS Glossary
                      Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Jason,

I've got something for you to test. It may help you.

Please, send me your email address so I can attach files/instructions.

B
                        Brad Matheny

Comment

Separating data processing from the GUI

Hi Jason,

Excellent news indeed ! In the 1-20 reply below you mentioned ,
                          " Separating out the data processing from the GUI processing is the main focus of this development work. "

To that I say, amen brother and thank you.

Is there a list I can be put on to be informed when you have a
                          release that accomplishes the separation. I'm not running anything as complex as Brad, but my KIS Sam methods are also degraded, sometimes on 8.0 as well - doh - during those volume pulses.

If you could release that along with the ability to utilize the dual and quad core processors and 64 bit systems Intel is selling you might see a spike in their sales - ok a blip.

Thanks And Keep Up The Great Work,
                          Glenn Swiatek
                          San Mateo, CA

Comment

FYI, I was having problems with esignal 8.0 crashing after I reinstalled it. I could not figure out what was causing it to crash when everything was working just fine prior to going to 10.3??

I eventually went into the winsig.ini file and removed my LAYOUT definition from that file - thus starting esignal without any chart/others being loaded and rebuilding my layout from scratch.

It loaded everything and worked just fine. In fact, it is running MUCH SMOOTHER and FASTER now that I've re-created a new layout (with only 6 charts - I used to have 15 running)..

Now, I'm going to continue to rebuild this layout to include all 15 charts eventually, but I thought I would mention that dumping my old layout and starting fresh seems to have resolved some of the SPEED issues I was experiencing earlier.

I wonder if there is anything related to this tactic that could help resolve potentially corrupted layout files or other issues? Cause when you think about it, I'm running the same code as before and on the same types of charts - so the environment is almost identical to what I had before. But the speed has increased CONSIDERABLY with regards to esignal's operation.

I'm not getting the MAX CPU nearly as often. Even though it's fairly light volume "right now", "winsig.exe" is currently operating between 10% and 60% of the CPU - no 97%++ like before.

Again, I don't have all my charts running yet, but maybe there is something related to loading/using earlier layouts (or corrupted layouts) that is related to this speed increase I'm seeing??

Anyone else care to try this or respond?
                            Brad Matheny

Comment

Doji

Another data point, I downgraded to 10.1.1291.910 from 7/14/08 and didnt have any trouble with that version running slow, but I reloaded from my back up efs copies and didnt use the same ones from 10.3

I have no problems with my IB connection or efs speed, now

Comment

Working...
                              X