10.3 RC crashing when I try to load another Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10.3 RC crashing when I try to load another Layout

For 10.3 release candidate, whose e-mail address do I use to send the crash report to.

I can consistently get eSignal 10.3 RC to crash just by simply trying to load another Layout.

Thanks.

The solution appears to be to not fool with loading of ACH files created with 8.0r2 for 10.3 RC.

I'll tell you a non-fun side-effect of these kinds of crashes when you try to load another Layout:

If you created any of your own Spread Symbols on the first Layout, even if you saved the Layout before trying to load another one, if you crash, you LOSE your Spread Symbol definitions.

Comment

Re: 10.3 RC crashing when I try to load another Layout

You should be seeing a dialogue box that automatically routes the crash report to the right place when you hit send. Is that not happening?

Glad to hear you found a semi-workaround.

Thx

Originally posted by SteveH
      For 10.3 release candidate, whose e-mail address do I use to send the crash report to.

Thanks.

Comment

Scott,

The dialog box in 10.3 RC has the e-mail address field empty. That's why I asked which e-mail to use to send the crash report.

Side note:

Scott, I've been developing software for 20+ years with a couple of computer science degrees under my belt and I have a very important question for you to deliver to your software crew:

Look at the 8.0 development team. Look at the 10.x development team. Something systemically bad has happened between those 2 efforts which has caused eSignal to degrade as an evolving product.

7.9.x was great, 8.x was good...10.x is a continual disappointment to deliver a solid product to market.

Comment

Steve,

We are aware of a crash condition that can occur using certainly EFS1 functions in the current release of 10.3, and are working towards a fix.

Regarding your comments about the differences between 7.9, 8.0 and 10.0, those versions were all developed under the same development team. Only after 10.0's release did we decide to make changes to our development methods and staff. This was mainly because the 10.0 release was not up to the standards we expect or that our customers expect.

That being said, much of the decrease in performance had nothing to do with the above, but instead the implementation of CID records (Corrections, Insertions and Deletions) and the use of the EManager.DLL. These CID records are nearly twice as large per data packet because of the additional sequence information that is required to be sent. This of course leads to additional CPU, bandwidth, memory, etc.

Since 10.0, we've made tremendous strides in reducing the overall CPU usage, memory footprint and bandwidth usage. 10.3 has been one of the more dramatic releases in terms of bandwidth reduction as the addition of hibernation makes a significant impact in this area.

As mentioned, we know about one issue with EFS, there is one other item with server connectivity that could impact users outside the U.S. as well. Both will be solved in an upcoming maintenance release as soon as the changes pass our QA staff.

There are some exciting new updates coming in 2009 for eSignal... not only performance and technology improvements (multi-threading, 64-bit), but also some very significant software improvements. Stay tuned!
          Regards,
          Jay F.
          Product Manager

Comment

Jay,

Good to hear. For me personally, when you get your direct-chart trading up to speed with a decent programmable interface, you'll have something really compelling to stay at the 10.x level. And, of course, if you can get eSignal multithreading and taking advantage of these 8 hardware threads of execution I have, well then, that would be something very nice as well.

The worst thing I'm experiencing in 10.3 RC right now, and it's pretty bad, is that I have some dead charts in real-time. I've got a 1 min version of a symbol updating and that same symbol in a 3 min chart is not updating in real-time. It only updates when I reenter the symbol again and that doesn't really help because there's no updates after that refresh.

You can read about this on another recent thread here, but the best thing your staff can do is to keep in touch with this board and at least get back quickly to let us know if it is even reproducible by your staff. If I know that you know how to reproduce it consistently, then I know you'll find the solution to the problem in a reasonable amount of time. If not, then I have to guess that it cannot be fixed anytime soon and I have to go back to 8.0r2 for another 6+ months.

[No bandwidth or processing power problems on my end. An i7 920 overclocked to 3.2 Ghz with 3 gig of memory is plenty strong to handle anything I can throw at eSignal in the way of scripting and any data I have coming in. I'm only looking at about 10 symbols tops all day, since I specialize in trading only 2 futures contracts and looking at some market internals]

Comment

Working...
            X