Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 10.3 with DualCore/QuadCore support

Hooray esignal.

In my opinion, if it works well and is stable, this is one of the biggest improvements you could have made to the application.

I downloaded it today and am running it on my AMD x2 system (dual core). Have you tested for this CPU? Any known problems?

If I can see a dramatic reduction in the overall CPU usage, I'll be
    very happy because I believe it may help the overall operation of my esignal application.

HOORAY ESIGNAL! Very happy to get your email today.

BTW, are there any specific settings or options I need to enable/set to maximize the use of my dual core systems with this new esignal?
    Last edited by Doji3333; 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM.
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

so far so good. CPU usage has averaged about 50% all morning. Kinda flat this AM with moderate volume.

I've not seen any problems so far...
    Attached Files
    Brad Matheny

Comment

FYI : thru the news this AM of the Govt bailout changes, my 8.0 HUNG for quite a while while the new 10.3 worked perfectly (as far as I can tell). The charts kept updating and ticking as they should. I experienced no HANG on the new 10.3 app - so I'm very happy today.

Hooray Esignal! I believe you may have addressed one of the biggest issues of your application and increased stability for future versions.
      Brad Matheny

Comment

OK - may have found an issue.. I was testing some code on a 1 minute "dynamic" chart and switched it to a 2 minute chart to see the results...

On the new 10.3 app, the Cursor window TOP keeps flipping between "Req Sent", "Receiving Data" and "OK". But I have yet to receive any additional 2 minute data in my chart - I only have data from middle of 2/9 thru today (using dynamic 24 hour time template)..

This used to work just fine in the older verion of esignal and I suspect it is something to do with the new multi-tasking/threading that has been recently added??

Any ideas??
        Brad Matheny

Comment

Brad,

To clarify 10.3 is not multi-threaded between data and GUI processing. These two areas are where the vast majority of processing takes place for eSignal, and currently run under the same thread. So while eSignal 10.3 works well on multi-core processors, we aren't fully taking advantage of these types of setups.

That being said, you're likely seeing improvements because of other changes we've made in eSignal since 8.0. In the latest 10.3, we've introduced data hibernation. Depending on how eSignal is being used, this can have a major improvement on the amount of CPU usage, bandwidth and memory. For a user that has 500 symbols in their workspace, but only 50 are visible, eSignal will track around 70-100 symbols (depending on how windows are setup.) This is a net resource reduction of 80% or more!

We're continuing down the path of multi-threading, and also have plans for becoming 64-bit compatible. We have this scheduled for the middle of this year. Please keep in mind that this is an estimate. Also, these are large changes, and will require a large amount of testing to ensure its quality.
          Regards,
          Jay F.
          Product Manager

Comment

Jay. All I've got to say so far is "Hooray eSignal". I'm loving the fact that I'm able to run my code more stable and updated compared to earlier versions.

So far, all of my buttons, actions and robots are running just fine with this new version. Granted, it's only 1 day and I have yet to really play with this new version.... but I'm happy so far...

I suggest you further address improvements with regards to speed. I'm currently seeing about 80% avg CPU use on a relatively heavy volume day. I'm sure as you identify process intensive portions of the code and address them, we'll see better speed.

Going to send you some times to check with on this new version.

You guys/gals have made me happy. Like I said, for me, this is a big issue and I'll be happy with further improvements.
            Brad Matheny

Comment

Working...
            X