Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does eSignal run better (less lag) in an Intel Core I7 quad core system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does eSignal run better (less lag) in an Intel Core I7 quad core system?

If anyone is running eSignal on a system like the above, I would appreciate it if you would share your experience.

I understand that eSignal is a 32 bit software program and as such can only use 2 GIGs of RAM (maybe up to 3 GIG but I don't believe so).

But will the lag experienced by eSignal during heavy data flow be eliminated/significantly reduced with no other conflicts?

Thanks

Wayne
    Last edited by waynecd; 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM.

I think you will find Nehalem (I7) processos still rather hard to come by. I would be surpried if anyone has tested this yet.

You can still run a 32 bit app in a 64 bit os, so while the memory space for the 32 bit will be limited, the OS can still use a greater address space. BTW I do believe it is 3GB for Windows 32 bit apps (but could be wrong).

However, I don't think memory SIZE is typically a problem for eSignal in scenerio's with over 1GB of available memory (prior to starting eSigal). At least it never has for me.

Remember eSignal isn't multi-threaded. So after a certain point number of cores, or other methods of increasing the nuber of threads executed will not help, unless you are actively running numberous other applcations along with eSignal (eSignal runs as two processes, so a single quad core should be fine for eSignal + OS).

Where Nehalem should/will help ieSignal is with memory latency - they (Intel) have developed a memory architecture more like the AMD Opertons, whch had much more efficient CPU to main memory access times.

Garth
    Garth

Comment

Wayne,
      I recently switched from 32 bit VISTA to 64 bit VISTA ULTIMATE. I run 8GB of Memory with dual AMD Opteron CPU's I have no problems with eSignal. The 64bit VISTA will run your 32 bit programs. Possibly my expirement will help you. Later in the year I will switch to a newer Quad set of AMD Opteron CPU's than are currently available.
      Rick

Comment

I am trying to reduce/eliminate the lag eSignal experiences during heavy data flow periods.

gspiker, trader_rick, thanks for the input.

Have you noticed any improvement with the lag in data flow issue when using a more efficient CPU?

Thanks

wayne
        Last edited by waynecd; 02-13-2009, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I am not seeing a problem. The one thing you can do is to install a 64bit Version of VISTA. I was told by a local Microsoft/HP Registered Pro that by moving from 32 bit to 64bit VISTA he felt his PC.s speed improved 20%. He also told me that using Quad CPU's will speed up the operation of a PC even with all 32bit programs because of all the stuff our VISTA Operating Systems continue to process and a Quad CPU speeds those calculations.

Rick

Comment

That's great. Thanks Rick.

wayne

Comment

Working...
            X