X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parsing Config file

Thanks.
    I was afraid of that solution.
    Did you try using the standard Windows DLL for parsing a configuration (.ini) file?

Comment

This is just an easy and quick solution that you can deploy inside the EFS.

Writing a DLL just to parse a few lines in .ini file seemed a bit of an overkill.

Besides I havent seen any documentation about what sort of libraries the app can take. ATL? MFC? I doubt it's .NET

If you have any example I'd be interested to see it. Anything to increase performance!

Thanks

Max

Comment

Parsing Config file

Gekko,
        I guess i was not clear enough.
        I did NOT mean to write a DLL at all.
        My query was about avoiding any need to write code like this either as a DLL or as an EFS. My message was about the USAGE (not reinvention of the wheel) of the standard Windows DLL for this purpose.
        The DLL is (with some fake parameters):

GetPrivateProfileString("INISectionName", "INITopicName", " ", anEFSVariableName, nLengthOfStringInINIFile, sIniFileName)

Your response actually indicate that you have not used this DLL.

Using this DLL would save you writing (& debugging) all the code you have written.

Thanks all the same...
        Bey

Comment

Geez... that's ancient history... I normally store initialization information in the registry...

Anyway, you were the one asking about what solution i was using: if you don't like it then don't use it... I've got better things to do than arguing about an ancient function in the Win API...

Also GetPrivateProfileString() is NOT a DLL, it's a function. The DLL (which is a library) it's part of is Kernel32.dll

If I was to use that function I would still have to create an .ini file which wouldn't be any shorter than the one I've written, and I would have to persist the values locally to global JavaScript vars just the same

In the end using GetPrivateProfileString() wouldn't save me squat, since I've written the code already...

Take it easy

;-)
          Last edited by gekko71; 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X