eSignal 10.4 R1574

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eSignal 10.4 R1574

Having just uograded and tested 10.4 R1574 I was somewhat mystified to see an apparent increase in CPU load when loading my base page layouts (vs previous versions).

Through a process of elimination, including removing all studies and all scaling options from advanced charts I eventually managed to ascertain that the cause was not some EFS study element that I was using.

It would appear that as you resize charts and make them larger, the CPU gets increasing usage. I have 4x19" screens connected to the machine I was testing on and when I extended a single chart (with no other charts, quote windows, etc open) over the entirety of the 4 screens, the CPU usage rose to 85% (even with the underlying market/symbol of the chart actually being closed.

I thought perhaps this might be a problem relating to multi-screens or graphics cards, so I reduced the size of the chart to occupy just the whole of 1 screen and the CPU usage is still massively increased, but not to the same degree.

At the other extreme, when you make a chart extremely small, the CPU usage drops right back down again.

I then uninstalled 10.4 R1574 and reverted back to 10.1 R1291, and repeated the same tests with a single advanced chart. True enough, on this previous version there is absolutely no overhead incurred by increasing the size of advanced charts. In fact the chart I was testing with used 0% CPU when stretched across 4 screens.

Is this intentional? Is it something to do with the integration of trade management? If so, will there be an upgrade path that allows you to remove those components that cause this problem (I notice trade management is totally integrated now).

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards.
    Last edited by sandpiper; 05-08-2009, 07:56 AM.

Wow. That's interesting.

Good job hunting it down. I run esignal on 2 PCs with dual monitors. I have a four head video card that I want to install, but need to change some things around over here.

There must be something (a component of the chart maybe) that is causing huge CPU use?? It would probably help if esignal did more testing between version with regards to CPU use and memory use.

I know I'm still having troubles in heavy volume with esignal freezing. But until esignal completes the multi-threading for multiple CPUs, I just have to wait.
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Brad,

Yes. It certainly appears that there is a new advanced chart component causing this issue. On reflection, I could have checked to see whether the "sizing" problem also affects things like quote windows, quote boards, etc. but it didn't occur to me at the time.

I will probably re-install 10.4 R1574 on my other machine to test a few things like that out.

To be honest, the only reason I installed it in the first place was to check out any advances made on the multi-threading front (since that is something we are eagerly anticipating like yourself). But (as was kind of expected) although there is some multi threading in place, it doesn't extend to different advanced charts using different threads.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
      X