Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tick Download

eSignal version 10.1.1291.910.

Had to revert back because of cpu utilization problems on latest version (reported in earlier post).

I'm not entirely sure when the feature whereby you can change Date/Time settings to 'Exchange' from 'Local' in the preferences menu was implemented since I upgraded to 10.1 from 7.9 (where the feature certainly wasn't available.

It's a great feature that makes life much easier. However, it does not work on Tick Download. If I download tick data for any european futures contract (equities may be the same, haven't tested those) it is timestamped as if it were U.S. listed.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that Tick Download on 7.9 allowed you to offset time to take account of this (as well as price) when downloading.

Hello sandpiper,

The Tick Downloader creates the file based on the Tick Servers Local time and when played in eSignal uses the setting from the Date/Time Preference to create the chart in the time frame the user wants. If you open the file (.EPF) in Excel you'll see the timestamp for each entry.

In version 7.9 the process was the same but when replayed used the computer local time to set the time frame of the chart.

Do you have a specific examples/symbol that we can look at?

AveryH
    eSignal Support

Comment

Avery,

Thanks for the reply (don't know where it went but I got the e-mail).

Symbol tried include AX M9-DT, FCE M9-EEI, ET M9-DT and Z M9-EEI, so include US+5 and US+6.

The timestamps help on the tick download reflect the local time (or cpu time) as you say. However, the point I was making was that now that you can display data in realtime on advanced charts in 'Exchange' time, I had expected Tick Download to change to reflect this.

However, now I've examined in some more I can see what eSignal were attempting to do. But, it hasn't worked.

To explain. I've just done a tick replay of the previously downloaded tick data for AX M9-DT. The timestamps of each days data help on the EPF file for this symbol was US time, so 02:00 to 16:00. When replaying this data I now see that it is at this point that the adjustment to the time is made, i.e. either in replay or as part of the advanced chart functionality.

Unfortunately the adjustment it makes is wrong. Remembering that:

1) I have my preferences set to 'Exchange' time (the DAX should display as GMT +1)
      2) I have my computer set to US east coast (GMT -5).
      3) The timestamps of the EPF file reflect my computer clock.

I pull up an advanced chart of the DAX and it displays correctly as GMT+1 or US+6. When I replay the the DAX tick data and compare it in a chart alongside it is 2 hours out. So, a price printed at 14:00 on the normal advanced chart is shown as printing at 12:00 on the TICK replay chart.

I hope this explains the problem more fully. As I say. I can now see that the time adjustment takes place on tick replay rather than on tick download. But unfortunately it is wrong.

Regards.
      Last edited by sandpiper; 05-19-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Sandpiper,

I should ask what version of eSiganl you reverted back too? We may have to test using an older version. And is the a particular reason that you're unable to use the eSignal version on our downloads page?

I'm on version 10.3.1491 and using one of the example you listed, I'm unable to duplicate the issue reported. As you can see from the two charts of the AX M9-DT. Is it possible that you forward your files so that we can check to see what you have?

Is it possible that you post some screenshots so that we can see your charts?

AveryH
        eSignal Support

Comment

Avery,

eSignal version 10.1.1291.910.

Screenprint(s) attached (replicating yours) as requested.

Regards.
          Attached Files

Comment

Avery,

Second chart.
            Attached Files

Comment

Avery,

The reason why I can't use the version of eSignal on the downloads page is that when I resize charts and make them larher (even on closed markets) the cpu usage gradually increases. When I expand a chart to cover 4 screens it uses 85% of my CPU.

Whilst I don't need charts this big, I do need charts big enough that they start having a real cpu overhead. I've detailed this issue in a thread/post made 2 weeks ago BTW.

Regards.

Comment

Sandpiper,

Thank you for the screenshots we'll have to do some investigating to see if this is a version specific issue. We may request your page file to test with if we continue having issues duplicating what is reported.

Once I have more information I'll post back here.

AveryH
                eSignal Support

Comment

Hello sandpiper,

We did find this to be a bug in the 10.1 version of eSignal. The good news is that in eSignal 10.3 it was addressed and fixed.

I've also spoken with our Product Manager about the earlier post here with regard to the CPU usage when enlarging a chart over multiple monitor. We’re unable to duplicate this issue and are requesting a copy of your page to be sent so that we can test it on our side. You can email the page to [email protected] or post it on the Fileshare and let us know where to download it from.

Thanks
                  AveryH
                  eSignal Support

Comment

Avery,

Glad you could replicate it. With regards to the page. I will set one up again, but I will have to re-install the newest version on my other machine. This won't be till the weekend.

As an aside. I never re-use pages from older versions when I install a new version. I always uninstall (actually I prefer to restore my computer from a clean image) and re-build pages from scratch as I find that I become aware of new eSignal features much more quickly doing it that way.

So, with that said, I am surprised that you cannot replicate the issue. Never mind. As I said, I will re-install and re-test at the weekend and let you know the results (and post page).

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                    X