Alerts to email address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alerts to email address

I am trying to get alerts to my email address. I have put the correct email add in and SMTP etc but still dont get alerts sent to my email. Has anyone got any ideas ? thanks

Malcolm
    Last edited by rutland10; 06-03-2009, 08:36 AM.

Can you take a look at this KB Article on this topic and see if any of the solutions help?

Thanks.

Comment

I am trying to get eSignal setup to send alerts to my email address and I understand that eSignal only works with SMTP servers that do not require Authentication. Google has SMTP servers that meet this criteria but they can only be used with messages being delivered to other Gmail addresses (i.e. [email protected]). This limitation is not a problem for me because I prefer that eSignal send alerts to my Gmail address anyway.

To test the use of these servers, I configured Outlook Express with one of these SMTP servers (gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com). Using this setup, I am able to send messages to any Gmail account. If I attempt to send a message to a non-Gmail address, an error window would pop-up stating that the message was undeliverable, which is not an issue in this case.

Because Outlook Express can successfully send and deliver messages to other Gmail addresses using a SMTP server that does not need Authentication, this tells me that eSignal should be able to do this as well. Unfortunately, I cannot get this to work. For testing, I setup eSignal to both send an email and display a popup window whenever an alert is triggered. And I selected "Time Alerts" from the Alert window. Whenever this alert is triggered, I would see the popup window display, but I would not receive an e-mail message.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please reply to this post. I have attached information about settings used with Outlook Express and eSignal.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by hanspeterusa; 10-02-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Email Alert using an SMTP Server is Working!

This is an update. I am happy to report that I got this working! I was able to get email alerts to work using the same settings.

It seems that my problem was only with the "Time Alerts" selection used for testing after the market closed. For some reason, "Time Alerts" works in Audio and Pop Up mode, but not in Email mode. This threw me off track in my testing.

When I decided to test the Email Alerts during market hours using an active symbol where the price was moving, this was when I discovered that this feature actually works well.

Comment

If I need to have eSignal send alerts to my cell phone, I believe I can continue to use this configuration and have Gmail forward these alerts to my cell phone. This will be my next test. Let me know if you wish for me to post my results.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the all the information. It's been a challenge for users to get these email alerts working since so many ISP's moved to requiring authentication via SMTP. We really appreciate you posting a workable solution, as we've been researching solutions as well. So, yes, by all means, please do post the results of your cell phone forwarding test.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X