Timezone formatting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timezone formatting

In Preferences, under Date/Time Settings, the user can set the Timezone Formatting. The choices are Local Timeszone, Greenwich Mean Time, or Exchange Timezone.

Why not let the user choose a specific time zone other than GMT? If you belong to a trading room, or simply chat with people in other time zones on IRC, most people use Eastern time. That is, I'm currently using a site that trades ES futures only (where the exchange is on Central time), and they still use Eastern time references.

The Exchange Timezone option isn't terribly useful, because I end up watching, say, an ES chart in Central time for trading that index, while keeping an eye on other NYSE-based indicators such as $TICK and financial indices, formatted in Eastern time--constant mental juggling as you might look back at a 10am ES peak and want to see what another index was doing at 11am for comparison.

In the past, I had a computer dedicated to eSignal and I just set the clock to Eastern time. however, now I have an 8-core Xeon system, and use it for other things as well instead of slaving it to eSignal only; my calendar alerts, email, and other things would be off by three hours for me here on the west coast if I changed the system clock to Eastern time.

This seems like such an incredibly easy feature to implement. If you can display in GMT, regardless of what time zone the computer is set to, why can't you pick any time zone?

Hello Codehead,

The timezones were one of the most requested feature enhancements especially for the Exchange time so that user didn't have to continue to change the time on their computers.

We do understand the dilemma you're going through actually trading or working with charts in different time zone. If you think this would be a benefit to you and others please submit it as a suggestion via the Support--> Make a Suggestion in eSignal.

Once again thank you

eSignal Support

Comment

Originally posted by eSignal_AveryH

... Make a Suggestion in eSignal.

eSignal Support
      I emailed the suggestion last week and it was acknowledged. The "exchange time" feature is a good one, and sufficient if you're doing everything in a single time zone (as you typical stock trader is, with NASDAQ and NYSE). But it's not adequate when you're working with multiple exchanges under different exchanges, and you just want to pick one.

Comment

Thank you very much for sending in the suggestion, it has been submitted to our Product Management Group who will review and consider your suggestion for a future release.

AveryH
        eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
        X