Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will increasing Stack & Heap make it faster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will increasing Stack & Heap make it faster?

With a lot going on this esignal really boggs down. On Vista, the screens gray out with the message "Not Responding." This AM I was trying to get Tick Vol from active session before market close the day before. It took over an hour scrolling back and I never actually got to that point. It would take several minutes to bring in a few seconds of tick data on SPY.

The data rate on the internet connection was nearly zero. The CPU was about 30%. The memory usage was about 40%.

My though was that maybe a larger heap and stack size would help. Will it?

Some of this could be Vista itself. It clearly is full of sloppy code, with delay timers everywhere.

jgr,

I've checked with our developers and some other C++ programmers and was told that by making these changes to the Stack and Heap sizes you're not really going to get much of an increase in proformance with eSignal. It would however help if you have heavy calculation being done on the Advanced Charts.

AveryH
    eSignal Support

Comment

jgr,

What version of eSignal are you running? 10.5 seems to handle data streams more efficiently than previous versions. For me it has made a big difference (to the better) in performance.

Also, watch the type and number of EFS scripts running. The ones that draw a lot of lines, numbers, etc can really bog things down.

AveryH,

If by "heavy calculations", you mean calling functions or methods (either built-in or custom) or doing heavy manipulation of objects/arrays then I agree, Doing massive simple math operations would not be helped by heap or stack increases.
      Garth

Comment

Garth,

I increased it anyway just in case it is needed to store the many different series I am using.

Comment

Working...
        X