DDE does not work after disconnect/reconnect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDE does not work after disconnect/reconnect

I have been using eSignal and the DDE to Excel facility for 6 years now with no problems. Recently I upgraded to version 10.4 and occasionally I get disconnects from my ISP provider that are immediately reconnected with a different IP.

ESignal reconnects immediately and all charts are working with no problem. However DDE does not work and I am forced to close and restart eSignal in order to get DDE working again.

In the past whenever I would get disconnected and reconnected DDE would work with no problem.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

Hello gen2004,

I see that you’ve been using the DDE for quite a number of years so I’ll spare you the how it works speech and give you a quick resolution to the issue.

Testing back to 10.0 I see the same behavior when the Macros (DDE Linking) gets disconnected. A quick way to get the data working again is to use the Matrix Fill button on the SigTools bar. Much like when you add a symbol or qualifier to the worksheet.

DDE Matrix Fill
    This feature is used to update the DDE links after you have changed or added any symbol or qualifier. Once the change has been made select the SYMBOL Header Cell and click the DDE MatrixFill icon. The matrix will automatically be updated with DDE links based on the specified symbols and qualifiers.

Hope this helps you.

AveryH
    eSignal Support

Comment

Hi AveryH

Thank you for your response. I tried out using the DDE Matrix Fill from SigTools. However after a disconnect I receive the error message:

Microsoft Excel: Remote data not accessible. Start application ‘WINROS.EXE’?

and also

Signal DDE MatrixFill: The Data Manager was not found. Make sure it is active and then try this operation again.

It seems that the bug is with the Data Manager, after a disconnect/reconnect has occurred.

- - -

The behaviour of the eSignal Version 8 Data Manager differs a lot from Version 10.

Version 8 Data Manager, when it gets disconnected, produces a warning:

eSignal Data Manager Notification: Error Local eSignal Data Manager is unable to connect to Remote eSignal Data Manager

and a few times each minute tries to reconnect to I-Net. When it detects a connection the DDE links work fine.

Version 10 Data Manager, when it gets disconnected, mentions that eSignal Data Manager Connection Pending and in the Troubleshooting Mode area states Reconnecting to same INET connection. When it reconnects DDE links do not work and neither does SigTools. Closing manually just the Data Manager and reopening it, the DDE links work fine.

- - -

Apparently something needs to be done with Data Manager Version 10 to make it function similarly to Version 8 when a disconnect/reconnect occurs.

Meantime, as a workaround, I have tried to work eSignal version 10.5.1656.663 while using the old eSignal Data Manager version 8.0 build 299

Now with the markets closed when I force a disconnect/reconnect they seem to work fine and DDE links are ok. Hopefully this will be case when markets are open too.

- - -

Sorry for the lengthy post, but it was essential to elucidate the problems that I am facing with version 10.5

I will appreciate if your technical department takes a look at this issue, since using an older version Data Manager with the latest version of eSignal may leave out some features.

Keep up the good work !

Comment

Working...
      X