Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copying previous settings into new Vista installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying previous settings into new Vista installation?

I got my new computer running (with Vista 64) and I installed eSignal 10.5. Over the years I've learned what files need to be copied over from an older eSignal installation to a new install on a new computer. But it is just not working this time, I assume because of the new Program Files (x86) directory?

By creating another eSignal directory in Program Files and copying over my personal setup files to it, I got the layout to open. But my quote windows and keyboard hot keys will not.

Is there a link somewhere to describe how to copy all my 'setup' files from one pre-Vista computer to a new install on a Vista computer?

Regards
    shaeffer

Hello Shaeffer,

The instructions would be the same as we have on our KB Article 1530. Vista would take care of moving the files around. But if you're already made some changes and it not working I would do the following:

To access all the files from the old machine on the new Vista machines copy the eSignal directory from the pre-Vista machine to a USB or junk drive and copy it to the new machines in the %userprofile%\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files(x86) directory.

Since you're already launched and run eSignal at least once Vista has created a new directory in the Virtual Store. You'll need to rename or deleted the eSignal folder that's there and copy the pre-Vista eSignal folder in. My recommendation would be to rename it and once you have checked all the files go back and deleted it.

Please let me know if you have any other question or I can PM you my contact info and we can work through it after market today.

AveryH
    eSignal Support

Comment

Hi Avery,

I called Tech support Friday morning, and they got me up and running. Then I found I could not save my layout, but after a lunch time call that got sorted out. The tech guys were very helpful.

I am now running in XP compatability mode, with UAC turned off, and I think I can now treat the eSignal program in the Program Files (X86) as before (pre-Vista).

But I'm not sure I could repeat the steps we took to get to this state if necessary, and I definitely don't understand the pros and cons of operating this way vs with UAC on and using the Virtual directory. When I suggested to tech support that descriptions of these installation options together with your KB 1530 link would be useful to include in the installation notes link of the download page, they said this is underway.

I'll look forward to that. But meanwhile, the program seems to be running just fine. Thanks for your offer to help

Regards
      shaeffer

Comment

Originally posted by eSignal_AveryH
        Hello Shaeffer,

... Please let me know if you have any other question or I can PM you my contact info and we can work through it after market today.

AveryH
        eSignal Support
        Hi Avery,
        Could I still take you up on your offer? This Program Files (x86) >> eSignal directory is not acting like the 'old' Program Files >> eSignal directory I'm used to.

Thanks
        shaeffer

Comment

Absolutely, PM me your contact info and a good time I can connect you and we can get any issues you're having solved.

Comment

Working...
          X