% Change Y-axis Functionality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• % Change Y-axis Functionality?

I finally got a new computer, and on Friday leaped from 8.0 to 10.5. The new feature I was looking forward to using was the % Change Y-axis. But after attempting to reproduce the attached standard chart as an Adv chart, I'm thinking the % Y-axis feature may not be what I was hoping. Can this attached chart be created as an Adv chart?

Thanks
    shaeffer
    Attached Files

Re: % Change Y-axis Functionality?

shaeffer
    The Percentage Scale only displays the change in percentage on the data visible in the chart (ie from the leftmost bar to the rightmost bar) and does not replicate the Sym Overlay function of a Standard Chart [even when plotting multiple symbols]
    You can however accomplish the same result using an efs. I believe there is one in the EFS Library developed by JasonK that will do that
    Alex

Originally posted by shaeffer
    I finally got a new computer, and on Friday leaped from 8.0 to 10.5. The new feature I was looking forward to using was the % Change Y-axis. But after attempting to reproduce the attached standard chart as an Adv chart, I'm thinking the % Y-axis feature may not be what I was hoping. Can this attached chart be created as an Adv chart?

Thanks
    shaeffer

Comment

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I found a DailyPercentComparison efs in the Library (for daily charts), and the same in a search of the efs forum. Do you think there is a similar efs for intraday charts?

Regards
      shaeffer

Comment

Hi Alex,

I must have been brain dead last night, as now I can see that efs is intended for intraday use.

I tried adding one more symbol but keep getting the message "The symbol limit (7) for a formula has been exceeded". Have I done something wrong in my efs additions, or is it not possible to add one more symbol?

Thanks
        shaeffer
        Attached Files

Comment

shaeffer
          To my knowledge EFS is intentionally limited to 7 external symbols and/or intervals
          Alex

Hi Alex,

I must have been brain dead last night, as now I can see that efs is intended for intraday use.

I tried adding one more symbol but keep getting the message "The symbol limit (7) for a formula has been exceeded". Have I done something wrong in my efs additions, or is it not possible to add one more symbol?

Thanks
          shaeffer

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro
            shaeffer
            To my knowledge EFS is intentionally limited to 7 external symbols and/or intervals
            Alex
            Hi Alex,
            I was a little dismayed to realize today that the Std Chart I've been using for months (example posted in my original note) is not accurate, because as a line chart it is using the Close of the first intraday interval "bar" as the starting point, not the Open. And I don't think Std Charts can be adjusted for this.

So I am relooking at the DailyPercentChange efs. Previously I tried adding just one more symbol, with no luck. Can you clarify what the limit of 7 symbols/intervals means? In this efs there are four symbols and reference to the daily timeframe (interval) = 5. Does that mean this efs should be able to handle two more symbols?

Thanks
            shaeffer

Comment

Can anyone confirm it is not possible to add a fifth symbol to the DailyPercentChange efs, and if that's so, how that 'limit of 7' works?

Thanks
              shaeffer

Comment

As far as I know, you should be able to add up to 7 symbols. We arrived at that limit of 7 in part due to concerns of over-taxing the desktop. If you're looking for the specifics step to add additional symbols, perhaps we should move this thread to the EFS forum.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, it is appropriate to move this subject to the efs forum, but I don't think I can do that?

I got the error message about 7 symbols when I was only using 5 symbols. Alex's reply suggested there was some mix of number of symbols and intervals that couldn't exceed 7, which I did not understand.

Quite possibly I made a mistake in trying to add the 5th symbol that resulted in that error message. If someone can confirm that adding one (or up to three) more symbols should be possible, I'll try it again.

Thanks
                  shaeffer

Comment

shaeffer
                    Each external symbol and/or interval you call through the efs increases the count by 1.
                    In that script there are 3 calls for external symbols on the same interval as that of the main symbol and then 3 calls to the daily intervals for each of those symbols which makes for a total of 6.
                    When you add a fourth symbol you effectively exceed the limit of 7 because that increases the count to 8
                    Alex

Yes, it is appropriate to move this subject to the efs forum, but I don't think I can do that?

I got the error message about 7 symbols when I was only using 5 symbols. Alex's reply suggested there was some mix of number of symbols and intervals that couldn't exceed 7, which I did not understand.

Quite possibly I made a mistake in trying to add the 5th symbol that resulted in that error message. If someone can confirm that adding one (or up to three) more symbols should be possible, I'll try it again.

Thanks
                    shaeffer

Comment

Thanks Alex,

I could see the main symbol, the three other symbols, the chart interval and the reference to the daily interval, which I thought of as 6 symbols/intervals. I did not realize each call for the daily interval counted separately.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards
                      shaeffer

Comment

shaeffer
                        You are welcome.
                        That is why I always refer to 7 symbols and/or intervals in as much as an external symbol OR interval OR symbol AND interval EACH increase the count by 1
                        Alex

Thanks Alex,

I could see the main symbol, the three other symbols, the chart interval and the reference to the daily interval, which I thought of as 6 symbols/intervals. I did not realize each call for the daily interval counted separately.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards
                        shaeffer

Comment

Thanks again Alex,

In case this is helpful to anyone else, I ended up using three of these efs's and merging them, and it appears to work well.

If 9 symbols had been possble in one efs, I thought that it might be less CPU intensive than three efs. So here's the major S&P sectors in one % change chart.

Regards
                          shaeffer
                          Attached Files

Comment

shaeffer
                            As I understand it the differences would be marginal at best because the script would still need to call those external symbols and symbol/intervals and run the same number of calculations regardless
                            Alex

Thanks again Alex,

In case this is helpful to anyone else, I ended up using three of these efs's and merging them, and it appears to work well.

If 9 symbols had been possble in one efs, I thought that it might be less CPU intensive than three efs. So here's the major S&P sectors in one % change chart.

Regards
                            shaeffer

Comment

Working...
                            X