Price ruler disabled ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price ruler disabled ???

Here is a pic from 10.5.1721.1140 (9/17/2009) showing that the Price Ruler can become disabled.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit in Windows XP SP3 Compatiblity Mode (as per instructions from the Knowledge Base).

Note to eSignal developer:

You've got that Price Ruler check box disabling when you switch from a Segment to an Arrow in the pulldown box. When you switch back to a Segment, the Price Ruler checkbox becomes enabled again.

Note to eSignal non-developer on staff who is responding to this message:

Give this to the developer to find in the code, even if you cannot reproduce it. The disabling is definitely in the source code. There's no other way for 1 checkbox to be targeted like that, no matter what version of Windows you're running.

My original post is 8 days old and eSignal Support has still not responded to it.

Isn't there a support person who is supposed to be monitoring any post to the general eSignal forum and, at a minimum, at least acknowledge there is an understanding that something is going on that should not?

I don't have a problem being told that I'm wrong, there is no bug and the behavior of the program has changed from the 8.x series of releases.

But PLEASE respond, if only to say you acknowledge it's been read and passed on to to someone for a closer look.

Thank you.

Comment

Sorry about the delay. We'll take a look and let you know our findings by Friday.

Thanks.

Comment

This posted looked familiar to me and I thought I had answered but in essence I was thinking of our conversation back in March on this post. Things are still the same from 10.3 to 10.5 and if you see in the post we had displayed that the Price Ruler was available for the Arrow when used in conjunction with the Trend Line and not the Segment.

Speaking with the Product Manager this is by design, but you can make a suggestion via ideas to see they can make the adjust ment on the Arrow Style Line in the Segment Properties.

Sorry for the miscommunication and the delay in responding.

Comment

Avery,

In other words, the eSignal development powers that be took back a feature which was always available in versions 8.x and 7.x (i.e., since 2003). [referring to putting an arrow on a line segment and also having the price ruler active so you can see the distance of your price move and KNOW the intended direction of the measured move]

Avery, I have been in professional software development for 20+ years and have been trading the e-mini futures for 6 full years.

This much I know from both experiences while using eSignal software to trade:

The software development manager doesn't trade for a living. So it makes perfect sense for that person to take away this kind of feature...because he/she has never used it on a daily basis for years and years as I have done.

In a mature software product like this which has been around since the 90's, one really needs to have a darn good reason to take some feature away. Otherwise, you get disconnects like this from your paying customers.

Anyone who has used that arrow checkbox in the line segment had a choice to turn it on or off (on a per-drawing basis) and it was always off by default and you couldn't set it as on by default with a "Save Defaults Current Settings as Default"

My point:

To disable its use after years of functioning like this makes no sense from either a software design perspective or a trader's perspective who has been using it for 4+ years.

Please send this reply to your software design manager and I'll consider the matter closed. I just want my opinion on this heard now...not dumped into an over-filled "idea bucket" list.

Thanks Avery.

Comment

Steve,

I'm wondering if maybe I do not understand what you're looking for. So you see what I’m interpreting you request as I’ve included a video of what I thought you were looking for. In the video I’m right click on the pencil icon to get the Trend Line properties box you see.From there a checkmark was added to the Price Ruler and Arrow selected under Style.

If this is not what you're looking than I am mistaken and will forward your comments post haste to the developers and I again apologize for my misunderstanding.

Avery

Comment

Avery,

What I was referring to was that since 8.x, the feature to add an arrow and price ruler onto the drawing of a line segment (with the line segment tool) has been removed. Now, you can only draw the arrow or the price ruler with the segment but not both.

I'll switch over to using the Trendline Tool as your video has shown and that will solve things for me for getting the arrow and price on line drawings.

Thanks.

Comment

Avery,

There's a confusing issue with using the Price Ruler with a Trend Line Tool vs. using the Price Ruler option with the Line Segment Tool.

1. Bring up the Euro Dollar Futures r (6E #F)

2. In the File->Preferences...->General tab, have "Compact Price Display" unchecked.

3. Draw a line with the Line Segment Tool with the Price Ruler on.

4. Switch to the Trendline Tool and draw a trendline with the Price Ruler on and the Arrow on.

I drew a line of 22 pips with each tool.

1. The line segment tool correctly shows 0.00220.

2. The trendline tool shows 0.002.

If the trendline tool version of the Price Ruler option goes around chopping off significant digits like this, how can I know the true length of the price move AND have an arrow indicating the direction of the move I'm drawing?

How can this be a good design decision?

When you're measuring price distances, you don't round off to less than 4 significant digits on the Euro futures 6E contract. You'll see the same thing for the 6A, 6B, 6C, 6J and 6S contracts.

I can see that the having "Compact Price Display" checked in the File->Preferences...->General tab does not affect the way the Price Ruler displays its values as it does in the line segment drawing case.

So I'm back to my original problem.

I want:

To draw a line with an arrow and the price ruler option on with "Compact Price Display" unchecked.

Hey, if I'm drawing this kind of stuff on a TF #F or ES #F e-mini contract then there's no problem.

But, if I'm drawing this on a currency futures contract chart, it's a no-go.

Comment

Steve,

Thank you for the clarification, we'll forward this on to the Product Manager and the Developers. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Happy Holidays.

Comment

Working...
                  X