Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High and Low of Day alerts tigger together

Hello,
    I have Global High and Low of day price alerts set. Almost every day, and sometimes multiple times in one day, they will both trigger together. Obviously both HOD and LOD alerts shouldn't trigger at the same time. This only occurs with '$ symbols' such as $INDU, $TRAN, $CRX, $COMPQ. Usually they all trigger together, not just one symbol.

Is this a program glitch (as I can't imagine data glitches would occur for multiple symbols simultaneously)?

When this occurs, one then needs to right click in each High and Low column value of each symbol in the quote list to reset them, or else go through the multiple clicks required to reset them through the Edit Alerts window. The false alert and then resetting is a needless distraction.

Although I've given up hoping for the improvements to the alerts system, which have been promised for years, hopefully a hot key reset for all Global High/Low alerts will be included, whenever?

Regards
    shaeffer

It happened again today, where both high of day and low of day alerts triggered together. It is over an hour into a rally day, so I know the LOD alerts are wrong, and this occurred during a pullback, so I don't think the HOD alerts are right either.

Why is this happening?
    Attached Files

Comment

We're going to try to duplicate and hopefully figure out why it's occurring. In terms of resetting these more quickly, when the global alerts dialogue box opens, you should be able to press ctrl and click on each alert and then reset them all.

btw, are you running 10.6?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Scott,

I am running 10.5.1175. Is 10.6 more for options traders?

By 'global alerts dialogue box' do you mean the Alert Edit/Status window? It is in that box that I click the Field column so High and Low alerts are sorted togther, then I click the top (High) alert, scroll down to the bottom (Low) alert and Shift-Click to select them all, then hit Reset. Is that more or less what you meant, or is there Global Alerts box and faster way to reset all the H/LOD alerts?

Regards
        shaeffer

Comment

That is the same menu I was referring to. 10.6 is a mandatory upgrade for anyone taking OPRA but we just wanted to double check your version so our efforts to duplicate the issue mirror your set-up. So far, haven't seen the problem appear yet.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Scott,

It happened a couple more times while I typed the initial note this morning, but has not happened since. And again, just with $xxx symbols.

The DM says I'm viewing 104 symbols (although not all are in quote windows). Given that both highs and lows will trigger at the open, and often both again within the first 10 minutes, that'a a lot of clicks to reset them. Then I'll typically reset them all after the first hour, again over lunch time, and a few more times during a trending day after lunch. Its a good audible/visual way to 'feel' how strong a breakout/rally day is. So its a great feature, just not very user friendly.

I actually run (Medved's) Quotetracker primarily so I can readily see, hear and reset new highs/lows being made (I have H/LOD sounds turned off in eSignal). A simple 'Ctrl-A, C' in Quotetracker and those alerts are reset. The same hotkey in eSignal would be great.

Regards
            shaeffer

Comment

It happened today about 7:42 pst, with all 4 of my $xxx symbols.

Comment

It happened again today at 7:40, again with all four $xxx symbols. I reset them, and they all triggered again within a minute. Hmmm, about the same time as yesterday.

Comment

Same time again today it happened.

Yesterday afternoon I subscribed to the real time $VXN and $VIX data, and their H/LOD alerts both triggered today as well.

So for some reason it seems all my $xxx symbols trigger both H/LOD alerts, 80 minutes after the open

Comment

shaeffer,

Thanks for the information; what we'd like to do is test with your credentials to see if we can duplicate the alerts on eSignal 10.6. I'll PM you the instructions so that we do this without interrupting your trading day.

Comment

After several days of testing we have found that there is an issue with the several of the Global Alert on Indices triggering both on the High and the Low of the Day within the same minute.

This has been reported to Product Management as well as the developers to continue investigating. Once we have more information we'll report back.

Comment

Thanks for looking into this Avery. It wasn't until I after I first posted this that I realized that it happened at the same time every day. So now I know to ignore those alerts then, and just reset them.

And speaking of resetting, hopefully a Global High/Low Alert Hotkey is near the top of the to-do list? It is a very useful feature (especially with audio alerts) to gauge whether breakouts are false or not, but is awkward to use when it can take up to 20 clicks/keystrokes to do the reset.

Regards
                        shaeffer

Comment

Hello Avery,

It looks like something has been done. Now only the Low-of-Day alerts trigger for the $xxx symbols. It occurs at the same time as before. They have occured during the last few up market days when I know we were not near the LOD.

But the HOD alerts no longer all trigger, so the problem seems to be half fixed.

btw, is the new release still on track for the end of the 1st quarter? There really should be a next release status section in the monthly newsletter as I think that qualifies as important news.

Regards
                          shaeffer

Comment

My mistake. Somehowe my Global High alert was turned off (deleted). Today all HOD and LOD alerts triggered, as before.

Comment

I guess you still know about it, but still, every single day at about 10:40 est, both my daily high and low alerts trigger simultaneously for every $xxx symbol.

Its not a big deal to reset them, but its distracting and frustrating that things always seem to take many months to get fixed. I understand how new featurtes/releases need items to be prioritized, but imo, fixing faults in the current release should have higher priority than new features.

Comment

Working...
                              X