hotkey discrimination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotkey discrimination?

Hi. Recently while using eSignal (version 10.5.1721.1140) I’ve been replacing mouse clicks and keystrokes with voice activated macros using Dragon Naturally Speaking. To make this process easier on both me and my computer I’ve been using the “Customize Keyboard” feature to set hotkeys for various functions so my macros only have to send out one hotkey rather than direct the mouse around the screens doing a tap dance of clicks. Recently I’ve noticed though that all keys are not created equal when it comes to being assigned as hotkeys. For example, prior to using the macros to decrease bar spacing in an advanced chart I just clicked on a chart to activate it then clicked a few times on the appropriate icon in the tool bar. But when assigning hotkeys to this and other functions, e.g. increasing bar spacing/width or decreasing bar width, I’ve noticed if I use Alt+d as the hotkey combination (both held down simultaneously) for decreasing bar spacing on a chart that the macro has activated I have no problem. But if I assign Ctrl+d as the hotkey for the same function it decreases the spacing on every chart on all my screens. I’ve tried this manually, that is without using the macro program, and gotten the same result. Is this intentional? That is if the hotkey is comprised of two keys held down simultaneously and the first key of this combination is the Alt key, the function will be performed on only the active chart. But if the Ctrl key is the first key in the combination, the function will be performed globally. I’m not suggesting this is a programming glitch. In fact I like it and may make use of it in the future. I’m just asking to make sure that it isn’t a glitch so I can rely on it. Thanks.

Mike

p.s. Just to rule out possible program conflicts, I believe I’ve been pretty thorough in making sure that the hotkeys I use are not also in use by any other programs I’m running at the time.

Hey Mike,

This is not a bug or glitch. The Ctrl key shortcut was designed to allow user to execute most of the function on the Advanced Chart Toolbar over on all open charts.

The exception to the rule; it does not change all charts type for Kagi, Renko, Point and Figure, Point Break. And the Refresh All really doesn't need the Ctrl button to work.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Avery.

Mike

Comment

You're welcome, please let us know if you have any other questions.

Comment

Working...
        X