Esignal 10.6 and Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esignal 10.6 and Windows 7

I bought a new PC today with Windows 7 preinstalled. I then downloaded the latest Esignal (10.6) and ibbridge. I also made the compatibiltiy adjustments as advised in the KB.
    On starting esignal the program immediately crashes (I send a crash report). I have now removed it and am going to try Esignal 10.5.1.1721 (I have been using this version with no problems on XP).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Things you can try

Hello,

I am not affiliated with Esignal. That said here are a couple of things I would try if I were you.

Find the Esignal executable which is probably at
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\eSignal\WinSig.exe"
    (or wherever you installed it)

Right click and select properties, now select the compatibility tab. check the box that says Run this program in compatibility mode and try Windows Vista service pack 2 (but you could try various others if this doesn't work).

At the bottom of the screen check the box that says Run this program as administrator.

Click Apply and Ok.

See if it runs.

Good luck!

Comment

FYI, I install Esginal on Windows 7 as-is. It worked just fine without any compatibility setting and WITHOUT setting "run as administrator." When I tried it as instructed by Esignal it did not run.

HOWEVER, if it is already installed, I found I had to uninstall and then reboot before installing the current version. I know this has worked for others too.

Comment

Thanks for the information jgr, I also did the installation a new Window 7 machine without the compatibility setting and eSignal works fine. In your user settings are you in the Local Computer’s Administrator Group?

I found that being an Administrator on the machine and being in the Administrator group have different affects.

Snapper, can you make sure that you're a part of the local Computer Administrator Group. You can add yourself by going to Control Panel -->Administrative Tool-->Computer Management. Local User and Group. Click on the Groups Folder, Administrators and Click Add.

Comment

Anwer to the administrator question. NO, I run as an ordinary USER. I have two USER IDs for myself. One is Administrator for when that is necessary but normally I run as USER. BTW, installations always require administrator rights but I switch to the ID with admin rights for that then switch back to the normal ID.

Esignal works fine as USER. However, the package I use to trade with - from my broker - does require administrator rights so I have to start it with the administrator User ID.

Running as an administrator does expose your computer to root kits (key loggers) and other risks. I don't recommend that and I don't do it myself. That is why MS put the new security into Vista and W7.

Comment

I do the same as jgr - run eSignal as a NON-administrator, except I haven't migrated from Vista to Win7 yet. My system is locked down with UAC, full hardware DEP (Data Execution Prevention), and SRP (Software Restriction Policies).

The installation procedure I used is basically:

1) Fresh install of eSignal (note I'm still on eSignal 10.5).
            2) Leave UAC on (all the time, even when logged in as an Administrator, and especially when installing software!).
            3) Log into an Administrator account.
            4) Install eSignal. Right-click on eSignal installation .exe and "Run as administrator".
            5) Run eSignal from a NON-Administrator account.

I suspect the key to getting it working are either UNinstalling eSignal first and/or installing/running it with UAC on.

The only problem I've encountered when running as a NON-Administrator is with the Graphs when backtesting with the System Analyzer (related thread Click Here). It would be nice if eSignal would fix that.
            Last edited by shortandlong; 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Although I use QCharts, I am experiencing much the same behavior you all are reporting. I also noticed a difference between using the default account set up by the install, which is a member of the Administrators' Group, and the hidden (at least initially) Administrator account. I get the best results using the default install account.

When I use the default install account, which I named "Installation", to install QCharts, I can then run it as a regular user, with one important exception. I noticed that the system configuration files which reside in the Program Files (x86) directory DO NOT get updated unless I run QCharts twice using "run as administrator." Everything else about QCharts runs fine without having to use any special settings. The UAC controls virtualize all the system file changes except for those pesky configuation files.

I am wondering if any of you all have experienced this type of behavior. BTW, I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Comment

On the "crash" with Win7 and eSignal 10.6, I too had that problem. Something else changed between 10.5 and the 10.6 update. My system works fine in 10.5, and crashes in 10.6, UNLESS I unload some purchased EFS systems. With those unloaded, 10.6 works.

I was informed that eSignal knows about the problem in 10.6 but while there has been a maintenance update since the original 10.6 (I think), the problem still persists.

I have informed eSignal of this fault, but as yet no fix.

As with a lot of programs, they will work in Vista/Windows7 without "run as administrator" set, but there is a really nasty side effect. Anything that writes back into the "programs file" gets that write diverted to a "compatibility folder" in the local users file. This can be very confusing if you are not aware this is going to happen as things get "lost" to eSignal.

Personally, I have set "run as administrator" and apart for the annoying UAC message on start (which is much less of a problem in Windows7), everything runs OK.

Comment

Working...
                X