Problems with email in eSignal 10.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with email in eSignal 10.6

I am using Windows Mail with Windows Vista 64 Home Premium. My ISP is Verizon, and the email servers are incoming.verizon.net (POP3 port 110) and outgoing.verizon.net (SMTP port 25). Emails work successfully with Windows Mail inbound and outbound.

When I configured eSignal 10.6 to use email alerts, my alerts trigger a sound and a popup window, but I never get an email.

Is anyone using Windows Mail successfully with eSignal email alerts? If so, please share the necessary steps to get it to work.

Thank you for your help!

Andy

Andy,

Windows Mail is actually not relevant here as eSignal is acting like it's own email client. It just sounds like eSignal isn't able to connect to the SMTP server on Verizon's end.

Do you have "Use Authentication" and "Use SSL" checked? Is your Verizon username and password entered as well? Most likely an ISP as big as Verizon would require these things to be set, but it's always good to check with your ISP to be certain.

Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Hi JayF,

Thank you for your reply.

I have Use Authentication enabled only, and I can send and receive email using Windows Mail. When I enable Use SSL, I receive Error Number: 0x800CCC7D and cannot send email.

Is SSL required?

Thanks

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by arb56
        Hi JayF,

Thank you for your reply.

I have Use Authentication enabled only, and I can send and receive email using Windows Mail. When I enable Use SSL, I receive Error Number: 0x800CCC7D and cannot send email.

Is SSL required?

Thanks

Andy
        I'm unsure. Only Verizon can truly answer that, and it really depends on the ISP. I checked V's site and couldn't find anything definitive. You may just want to try various configurations of checked and unchecked. You also may want to verify the UN/Psw is correct as well as checking in your spam folder to see if the alerts are there instead of your inbox.
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

Hi Jayf,

I verified Verizon FIOS does not support SSL on its outgoing SMTP server. I don't understand why Win Mail is properly working, yet I can't receive eSignal email alerts. Is there an eSignal log file where the email alert error is recorded?

Thanks

Andy

Comment

There are a few log files, but in testing this out, I don't see that email alerts are captured in these logs for eSignal 10.6.

If you click on the "Send Test Email now" button, you should see some general status items of the application trying to send the email. Ultimately, you should see a test email in your Inbox similar to this (albeit this is with gmail.)

Regards,
            Jay F.
            Product Manager

Comment

Hi JayF,

From another eSignal Forum post, I understand eSignal only works with SMTP servers that do not require authentication. As Verizon FIOS requires authentication, I am SOL. I am really disappointed r10.6 does not fully support email processing with any ISP. Can an enhancement to r10 be made to provide this functionality, as I do not want to use r11 until it is generally available and all of the bugs have been worked out.

Will eSignal 11 fully support email alerts with ISP's that require authentication? If so, when will r11 be generally available?

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Comment

arb56
                As far as I know the current version of 10.6 (build 2044) already supports authentication (see the image enclosed to Jay's earlier reply)
                Alex

Hi JayF,

From another eSignal Forum post, I understand eSignal only works with SMTP servers that do not require authentication. As Verizon FIOS requires authentication, I am SOL. I am really disappointed r10.6 does not fully support email processing with any ISP. Can an enhancement to r10 be made to provide this functionality, as I do not want to use r11 until it is generally available and all of the bugs have been worked out.

Will eSignal 11 fully support email alerts with ISP's that require authentication? If so, when will r11 be generally available?

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Comment

That thread was likely outdated. The current version of 10.6 (build 2044) does indeed support authentication (just used it in my example with Gmail.) What was the message that was displayed when you pressed the "Send Test Email now" button under View --> Alerts --> (email) Settings

Another option, could be to try signing up for a Gmail account (be sure to turn on POP access; link) and then send email through them to your Windows Mail account.
                  Regards,
                  Jay F.
                  Product Manager

Comment

Alexis - Thank you for the suggestion to upgrade to build 2044 which supports SMTP authentication. I will perform the upgrade when the markets open on Sunday evening and perform a test. If I upgrade over the weekend when the markets are closed, my eSignal hangs with the gray Not Responding message.

JayF - I am currently running build 1879 which does not provide the "Send Test Email now" button under View --> Alerts --> (email) Settings. I will post the results after I upgrade to build 2044 this weekend. Also, thanks for the Gmail suggestion. On average, what is the amount of wait time from the time the alert is generated to the time you actually receive the email from Gmail?

I appreciate your support!

Andy

Comment

Alexis / JayF,

Upgrading to eSignal build 2044 has allowed me to successfully generate authenticated email alerts with Verizon FIOS.

Thank you so very much for your great support to help me resolve my issue!

Andy

Comment

I noticed the email alert settings for user name, password, use authentication, and use SSL were not saved when I started eSignal this morning. Is this normal for build 2044? Is there a solution available to save these settings across eSignal sessions?

Thanks

Andy

Comment

arb56
                          FWIW they seem to be saved at my end
                          Alex

I noticed the email alert settings for user name, password, use authentication, and use SSL were not saved when I started eSignal this morning. Is this normal for build 2044? Is there a solution available to save these settings across eSignal sessions?

Thanks

Andy

Comment

Hi Alexis,

That is interesting, as it is not being saved on my pc. I wonder if Windows Vista 64 Home Edition Virtual Store is suspect. Do you know the name of the file that contains the eSignal email settings?

Thanks

Andy

Comment

arb56
                              The settings are in the winsig.ini file
                              Alex

Hi Alexis,

That is interesting, as it is not being saved on my pc. I wonder if Windows Vista 64 Home Edition Virtual Store is suspect. Do you know the name of the file that contains the eSignal email settings?

Thanks

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X