Ver 11 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ver 11 question

Earlier this week I posted two messages to this board: [1] "Additional 11.1 Chart-Editing Capability, Please" (March 21), and [2] "Question for e-Signal Support" (March 22).

So far I've had no response from anyone at e-Signal Support, which is a little discouraging. I really would like to know whether my Version 11.1 questions/suggestions were deemed to have some merit, and whether the Support Team is referring them to the developers for possible action. I presume others who take the trouble to post here also feel that way about their own Version 11.1 concerns.

Thank you,

pot

I agree with you 100% - I will be stopping my esignal
    membership when it runs out in a month - not the only reason but I find them to be very unresponsive compared to other charting using groups I am a member of.

Comment

my feeling, is that with the breadth of data eSignal offers. really, who else but cqg (expensive), reuters, and ib (not tick), offers so many markets. eSignal can make a lot of money and provide minimal support. in fact, i'm not really sure why they invest in a software client. Their data is in so many packages. It's nice that they do. 11.x is a major re-write, with a good foundation, qt (multi-platform) technology, multi-threaded, x64 basis. It is a massive undertaking, and i don't believe they have hundreds and hundreds of developers, like Microsoft for a product. As a software developer, i can imagine what it's like to debug multi-threaded, asynchronous technology. If you have enough people it's ok, but they are expensive. My feeling is, 11.x won't be ready, like 10.6 is, until 14.x (skip 13).

Of course, 200-300 a month is a lot of money to somebody like us, but the churn in subscribers, coupled with the incremental improvements is all that's really needed for their end.

Not being critical, just positing a theory. It's all just business anyway.
      Last edited by atlas; 03-25-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Atlas:

You make several valid points. Also, Version 11 is very much 'a work in progress' with, obviously, many additions/improvements yet to be unveiled.

E-Signal encourages its subscribers to post their ideas/suggestions regarding product improvement and to request new features. In this context I would urge the developers to expand their "Inputs" and "Style" offerings in the "Edit Chart" window. If nothing else, this would get the non-programmers and non-script writers off their back!

Cheers,

pot

Originally posted by atlas
        my feeling, is that with the breadth of data eSignal offers. really, who else but cqg (expensive), reuters, and ib (not tick), offers so many markets. eSignal can make a lot of money and provide minimal support. in fact, i'm not really sure why they invest in a software client. Their data is in so many packages. It's nice that they do. 11.x is a major re-write, with a good foundation, qt (multi-platform) technology, multi-threaded, x64 basis. It is a massive undertaking, and i don't believe they have hundreds and hundreds of developers, like Microsoft for a product. As a software developer, i can imagine what it's like to debug multi-threaded, asynchronous technology. If you have enough people it's ok, but they are expensive. My feeling is, 11.x won't be ready, like 10.6 is, until 14.x (skip 13).

Of course, 200-300 a month is a lot of money to somebody like us, but the churn in subscribers, coupled with the incremental improvements is all that's really needed for their end.

Not being critical, just positing a theory. It's all just business anyway.

Comment

Perhaps if they'd seen fit to replicate what they had in V10 first, then add the bells and whistles later, we would be able to use it in the style we are accustomed. I don't mean simply duplicate V10 - I simply mean add all of V10's functionallity before giving improvements that are unusable because of the lack of the basics.

Mervk

Comment

My biggest problem is that for whatever reason,
            they can not figure out why all the versions after the November beta run slower on my machine - daily, weekly, monthly charts take "forever" to load - with 10.6 and the November beta, it's a non-issue. And this is after allowing them remote access to my machine to try to figure it out.

So, basically, I cannot take advantage of all the new improvements, additions, etc. that each new release will bring - and yet I am supposed to be paying a monthly fee increase for this non-privilege.
            Last edited by bbruin44; 03-26-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pot

E-Signal encourages its subscribers to post their ideas/suggestions regarding product improvement and to request new features. In this context I would urge the developers to expand their "Inputs" and "Style" offerings in the "Edit Chart" window. If nothing else, this would get the non-programmers and non-script writers off their back!
              I always thought this was done poorly by eSignal. In Tradestation/multicharts, any line can have a style/width. In efs, you have to add directly.

Originally posted by merkro
              Perhaps if they'd seen fit to replicate what they had in V10 first, then add the bells and whistles later, we would be able to use it in the style we are accustomed. I don't mean simply duplicate V10 - I simply mean add all of V10's functionallity before giving improvements that are unusable because of the lack of the basics.
              Going to a new platform has its +'s and -'s. The technology is so different that they used, that they had the freedom to explore new possibilities (e.g. antialiased, smooth, graphics). If somebody really needed an old feature, 10.x was there.

Originally posted by bbruin44
              My biggest problem is that for whatever reason,
              they can not figure out why all the versions after the November beta run slower on my machine - daily, weekly, monthly charts take "forever" to load - with 10.6 and the November beta, it's a non-issue. And this is after allowing them remote access to my machine to try to figure it out.

So, basically, I cannot take advantage of all the new improvements, additions, etc. that each new release will bring - and yet I am supposed to be paying a monthly fee increase for this non-privilege.
              yes, you will be a beta-tester for a while. Again, it takes hours for a senior developer, or a team of developers to even be able to reproduce an issue. Then several more hours/days to implement a fix that does not break something else. If I were eSignal, i would give priority to crashes that come in via the Report featire. Then, implement the features that are missing from 10.x. Then tweak the performance. (Although, your issue sounds serious).

Comment

"Going to a new platform has its +'s and -'s. The technology is so different that they used, that they had the freedom to explore new possibilities (e.g. antialiased, smooth, graphics). If somebody really needed an old feature, 10.x was there."

Of course they had the freedom to explore new possibilities, otherwise why bother? But to concentrate on the new features at the expense of the necessary components of the old system? V10.6 chart trading facilities were most basic and barely usable, but V11 doesn't even posess this necessary module in ANY usable form.
                a
                "If somebody really needed an old feature, 10.x was there."

Are you saying that the old features are not required in V11? In that case, we are all fortunate that 10.x IS there!

Cheers

Comment

If I am going to be a guinea pig for a still obvious beta program - fine - just don't charge me an extra $30 per month for that privilege.

I was on the phone with tech support maybe 2 months ago. I had him duplicate my setup - pretty modest - 4 time frames - 2 and 15 minute, daily and weekly - with only volume in all 4 and a 200dma in the daily.

He typed in a few symbols and even he said "whoa, that's slow" - especially when he was able to compare it side by side to 10.6.

Since then, there have been 3 iterations of version 11, all still slow at loading the daily and weekly charts compared to the November beta.

I have an i7, 64Bit, 9GB running Windows 7

At the end of April, my yearly subscription is up as will be my time with eSignal.

Comment

bbruin,

I hear ya on the frustration front. But, personally, I'd still stick with v10.6 over NT 7 any day of the week.

Comment

BBruin,
                      I could not agree with you more. The delay in displaying the daily, weekly, monthly charts in v.11 makes it unusable for me at this point.

Comment

We are actively looking at the daily chart delay issue as a high priority. I can't say for certain if this can be addressed before 11.2's launch, but I just wanted to let the thread know that we have duplicated it and are attempting to solve it.
                        Regards,
                        Jay F.
                        Product Manager

Comment

Working...
                        X