Migrating frm 10.6 to 11.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating frm 10.6 to 11.3

Any help or guidance on resolving these would be greatly appreciated.I’ve been an eSignal user for over 3 years, lately using version 10.6 and overall have been very pleased – no gripes. For the past few weeks I have been trying to migrate to version 11.3. While there is a lot to like in 11.3, I am finding that working with charts in particular is noticeably more cumbersome, takes a lot more mouse clicking to do the same task vs. 10.6, and has definitely slowed my daily workflow. I suspect some of these are things I just simply haven’t yet figured out or found the answer to, and they are posed as questions. Others are observations / gripes based upon my use and system (system details follow at the end).

1. Slow and jumpy redraw in ver 11.3 when moving charts objects, scrolling, etc. within a window, even when no new data is incoming (as when markets are closed). With version 10.6 the redraw is continuous, smooth, fast and fluid, as it should be. When moving a drawing tools object or line in ver. 11.3, the object or line very noticeably lags the cursor and takes second or so to catch-up after the cursor movement has stopped. When applying a Style template to a chart in ver. 11.3 (Load in ver. 10.6), the load and redraw takes ~ 3-4 seconds. In 10.6 it was nearly instantaneous. This is very annoying and slows workflow.

2. How do I get a Price/Volume chart option in version 11.3 ?

3. In 11.3, after scrolling, expanding or moving a chart within its window the chart doesn't reset to default position when the current interval is re-selected. The only way I have found to restore a chart to it’s default position is to change the interval first to something different and then back to the original to reset the chart to its full scale default position. This means 4 clicks rather than 1 click to restore a chart to its default position and display within a window. Is there a better way, as this is cumbersome ?

4. Drawn object edit dialogues don’t close with a “return” keystroke, and must be closed with a mouse click in the Close button. That means key in a number (e.g. price for a horizontal line), then back to the mouse, move it and click. It would help workflow efficiency if after typing a number that two returns would complete the entry and close the dialogue.

5. Data window – displays “n/a” rather than last bar data when cursor is in “white space” beyond last bar. I would really like to see the last bar data retained in the data window as it was in the Cursor window in 10.6

6. When moving between different intervals on a chart in version 11.3, the Interval drop downs change order on all charts to the sequence used in the last active chart window. This is very annoying! It would help if the sequence within a window would remain for that window.

7. Has the “grab and hold” feature for moving or positioning drawn objects or lines (trend, horizontal, vertical) been lost ? This was a very nice feature in 10.x that saved a lot of time and clicks in annotating charts.

8. Cursor time axis tracking in all open chart windows within a page is very annoying. How do I turn that off ?

9. When “Stack Studies” is active (check in the chart’s menu), individual tabs are at top of the studies window. I like them at the bottom, which makes alignment with the data and aligned vertical lines much easier. Can I change that?

10. When working with a drawn object within a chart in ver. 11.3 (e.g. horizontal line), other items are dimmed or faded (e.g. moving averages). This makes it difficult to align things when one is faded. Can that feature be turned off ?

11. Finally, a general question about data display rates. Is there no longer an Option to set the display refresh rate as existed in 10.6 under the general Preferences dialogue (real time vs. 8 time/sec, etc.)? Is this now a fixed rate, and if so what is it?

System Details
    Falcon F-22
    Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.60 Ghz
    4.00 GB RAM installed (3.0 G usable)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT display adapters / 4 monitors
    250GB system hard drive (168 GB free)[U]

Re: Migrating frm 10.6 to 11.3

EricB123
    While waiting for someone from eSignal to reply here are some answers

4. Drawn object edit dialogues don’t close with a “return” keystroke, and must be closed with a mouse click in the Close button. That means key in a number (e.g. price for a horizontal line), then back to the mouse, move it and click. It would help workflow efficiency if after typing a number that two returns would complete the entry and close the dialogue.
    FWIW the Esc key will close the dialog

8. Cursor time axis tracking in all open chart windows within a page is very annoying. How do I turn that off ?
    By unchecking the Track Time and Track Price settings in the Cursor tab of the Properties dialog of the chart

9. When “Stack Studies” is active (check in the chart’s menu), individual tabs are at top of the studies window. I like them at the bottom, which makes alignment with the data and aligned vertical lines much easier. Can I change that?
    You can change that by checking Show Stack Studies Tabs on Bottom setting in the Background and Grid tab in the Properties dialog of the chart
    Alex

Originally posted by EricB123
    Any help or guidance on resolving these would be greatly appreciated.I’ve been an eSignal user for over 3 years, lately using version 10.6 and overall have been very pleased – no gripes. For the past few weeks I have been trying to migrate to version 11.3. While there is a lot to like in 11.3, I am finding that working with charts in particular is noticeably more cumbersome, takes a lot more mouse clicking to do the same task vs. 10.6, and has definitely slowed my daily workflow. I suspect some of these are things I just simply haven’t yet figured out or found the answer to, and they are posed as questions. Others are observations / gripes based upon my use and system (system details follow at the end).

1. Slow and jumpy redraw in ver 11.3 when moving charts objects, scrolling, etc. within a window, even when no new data is incoming (as when markets are closed). With version 10.6 the redraw is continuous, smooth, fast and fluid, as it should be. When moving a drawing tools object or line in ver. 11.3, the object or line very noticeably lags the cursor and takes second or so to catch-up after the cursor movement has stopped. When applying a Style template to a chart in ver. 11.3 (Load in ver. 10.6), the load and redraw takes ~ 3-4 seconds. In 10.6 it was nearly instantaneous. This is very annoying and slows workflow.

2. How do I get a Price/Volume chart option in version 11.3 ?

3. In 11.3, after scrolling, expanding or moving a chart within its window the chart doesn't reset to default position when the current interval is re-selected. The only way I have found to restore a chart to it’s default position is to change the interval first to something different and then back to the original to reset the chart to its full scale default position. This means 4 clicks rather than 1 click to restore a chart to its default position and display within a window. Is there a better way, as this is cumbersome ?

5. Data window – displays “n/a” rather than last bar data when cursor is in “white space” beyond last bar. I would really like to see the last bar data retained in the data window as it was in the Cursor window in 10.6

6. When moving between different intervals on a chart in version 11.3, the Interval drop downs change order on all charts to the sequence used in the last active chart window. This is very annoying! It would help if the sequence within a window would remain for that window.

7. Has the “grab and hold” feature for moving or positioning drawn objects or lines (trend, horizontal, vertical) been lost ? This was a very nice feature in 10.x that saved a lot of time and clicks in annotating charts.

10. When working with a drawn object within a chart in ver. 11.3 (e.g. horizontal line), other items are dimmed or faded (e.g. moving averages). This makes it difficult to align things when one is faded. Can that feature be turned off ?

11. Finally, a general question about data display rates. Is there no longer an Option to set the display refresh rate as existed in 10.6 under the general Preferences dialogue (real time vs. 8 time/sec, etc.)? Is this now a fixed rate, and if so what is it?

System Details
    Falcon F-22
    Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.60 Ghz
    4.00 GB RAM installed (3.0 G usable)
    Windows 7 Professional
    Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT display adapters / 4 monitors
    250GB system hard drive (168 GB free)[U]

Comment

Alex,

Many thanks - good solutions for 4 and 9.

On 8. I do have the cursor and price tracking turned off. I generally don't use cursor tracking other than the labels. However, in 11.3 the time axis label is active in all charts on a Page - when I move the cursor in an active chart window, the label tracks in all open chart windows. In a my four monitor setup I have as many as 18 chart windows open at a time - that means every wiggle of the mouse moves 18 cursor time labels. Kind of annoying - would like to see it move only in the active window.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Eric

Comment

Alex,

That's almost it. I had it on invisible. When I use Auto-Hide I am back to a cursor in the active window. What I wanted was a bold label for both price and time, but nothing in the window (like a white cursor color). So far, I can't find a way to have that combo and not have the time axis track in all open windows, or loose the label background.

In 10.6 the time and price cursor labels tracked in whatever window the cursor was over, active or not, and just that window. Made keeping up with the mouse trivial (label moved where it was) and no annoying added label movements going on (I can easily be confused). Now when I loose where I was I am back to the old Cntrl key.

Eric

Comment

Working...
        X