What is a second PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a second PC?

I'm running Windows 7 Professional and eSignal 11 but I also have Microsoft Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode installed to run a third party application. I tried running eSignal 10.6 and apparently the DM thinks there are two different PC's and knocks one offline. Is there a way around this?

Thanks much,

~Bob

I don't think there's a work around for this. It's working exactly how I think it would work. The only way to get this to work that way would be to have both programs work off of one DM.

I know this doesn't help much. I'll see if I can figure a work around for this.
    Thank you,
    Eric O.
    eSignal Support

Comment

You could install the XP app onto your Windows 7 and then right click on the app icon, select Properties -> Compatibility and check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select either "Windows XP (Service Pack 3) or "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)".

That should work with no VM required.

Comment

SteveH, Thanks for the input but eSignal 10.6 is just being used for a test. The real program will not run under Windows 7 period even using the compatibility mode.

eostrum, I would appreciate any help. It seems to me that the SEC rules apply to more than one physical computers and this is not the case using a Virtual PC. I understand some of the DM problems but it would be nice to find a way around it. I attempted to patch the Virtual PC registry to point to the DM on the hard drive but that drive is referred to as "\\tsclient\c" which the DM probably thinks is a remote PC and blocks it.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~Bob

Comment

DM connection

Well it doesn't look like this is going to be possible. The connection the DM makes is based on an IP. Even though the two OSs are on one actual box, they have two unique IPs and this is where the issue is.

The program treats it as if it were two machines and this is done by design. If this wasn't in the program itself it would open up too many security holes. I don't think we are going to be able to find a solution for this specific instance that will make it work the way you would like. Even in the corporate virtual environments that we have a little support for. The program still requires that each user run their own instance of the DM
          Thank you,
          Eric O.
          eSignal Support

Comment

Eric,

Thanks very much and I understand the implications. One of the fellows I am working with suggested that I install all of my eSignal applications on the Virtual PC which should take care of the problem. I would just have to install the 32 bit version of eSignal 11.3 but I doubt that for my use that I would lose much.

Best regards,

~Bob

Comment

Working...
            X