Email problems Ver 7.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email problems Ver 7.2

I'm very new to eSignal and am trying to set up Email alerts. I've used the menu View/Set Alerts item but so far with no success. All other items work very well.

My eventual aim is to have the Email alerts sent from Wizard Formula which I create.

I'm a European user and my provider is BTOpenworld.com. I've checked the settings of SMTP Hosts and all addresses but am still not sending Emails from this program.

I also use Matastock Pro. and Emails are being sent by this program. Anyone got any ideas?

This is from the help menu - also, here is the syntax to use in the efs file. Let me know if this helps, if not I'll suggest something else )

Alert.email("text goes here", "subject goes here")

If you have access to Internet mail via a computer, pager, or cell phone, you can have alert notifications sent to you. When an alert is triggered, the application sends an email message with the alert information to the address you specify in the Alert Edit/Status dialog box. The email address and other information you enter remain valid until you change them.
    When you set up email notification, you need to enter the IP address of the SMTP host that handles your email. If you're already receiving email through a web browser, the address is probably listed in the Preferences dialog box of your browser. You can also get the address from your Internet Service Provider.

After setting up for email notification, you can choose to send email each time you set an alert.

To set up email alert notification:

1. Select Set Alerts from the View menu (Alt-V,-A) or click the Set Alerts icon on the toolbar. Alternatively, right-click the symbol, then choose Set Alert from the menu that appears. The Alert Edit/Status dialog box opens.
    2. Click the Email Alert box and then click the Settings button. The Email Settings box opens.
    3. In the To field, enter the address to which you want mail to be sent.
    4. In the From field, enter the address of the email sender. (Note that the address in this field can be the same as the address in the To field.)

5. In the SMTP Hosts field, enter the IP address of your outgoing mail server. (Mine is mailbox.attbi.com)
    6. Click OK.

Comment

http://www.esignalcentral.com/suppor...erts_email.asp

might help too

Comment

David

Thanks very much for your help. The link to the support file may have provided the answer. I shall disable Norton Antivirus which normally scans all outgoing mail.

I am aware of the other items you mention in your first post.

With markets closed it is a little difficult to test the Antivirus idea unless anyone knows how to do this?

Regards
        David Maxwell
        Last edited by DMax; 03-02-2003, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Email problems Ver 7.2'

DMax
          If you are generating an email through efs then you can go into Replay mode
          and see if it works when the conditions are met. This way you can test at
          will.
          Alex

Comment

Alex

Thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know.

David

Comment

David and Alex,

Bingo! My Wizard works and Emails are now being sent.
              I am most grateful.

Best regards
              David

Comment

This is a riot!!! I can't get my alert.email function to work.

Alert.email("text goes here", "subject goes here");

Anything I am missing?

Antivirus etal shut off.
                Attached Files

Comment

David

Not sure why this is a riot!

I asked for help and you kindly gave it. I said thanks.

Live Rep, unfortunately could not assist or point me in a reasonable direction.

My problem is solved and if it had not been for your initial suggestion I would still be looking for an answer.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
                  David

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Email problems Ver 7.2'

DMax
                    David was referring to the irony in the fact that he had just finished helping you only
                    to find out he was having the same problem.
                    As I believe Churchill said "two people separated by a common language..."
                    Alex
                    Last edited by ACM; 03-02-2003, 02:37 PM.

Comment

David

Sorry, neither Churchill nor I can help!

Regards
                      David

Comment

Did I detect some hurt feelings in your post?

I didnt direct the comments at you, I never mind helping at all.

I thought it was a riot, cuz I didnt realize I had the same problem as you - the irony of the situation made me smile.

I will find out what the problem is, probably an isp issue.

Comment

David

I was surprised by your reply and felt that having proved to be so helpful, your post made little sense to me at that time. I know I'm a new boy with eSignal and I havn't come across problems with Antivirus software on previous occasions. No doubt we have all seen the problems created without Antivirus.

I felt that I must have missed something obvious. Perhaps a little foolish; it is obvious if you have or have heard of such an experience.

I hope you solve your email problem soon.

Again many thanks.

David

Comment

All,

Further to my previous observations:

Under Menu TOOLS/EFS Settings.

I felt that to reduce computer workload I should tick The box, 'Make all formulas compute on close (rather than tick-by-tick)'.

I then lost all email and alerts functions - again!

I have now unticked the box. Email and Alert functions have returned.

David

Comment

DMax,

When you selected "'Make all formulas compute on close" and then lost email and alert functions, did you mean the entries in the "Email Settings" window disappeared, or do you mean the Email Alerts stopped functioning? Also, what version of eSignal are you running (version and build number under Help - About)?
                              Regards,
                              Jay F.
                              Product Manager

Comment

Working...
                              X