processing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• processing power

Wouldn't this benchmark be the most relevent benchmark for your software if multiple efs' are used (which is compiled at runtime like all other interpreted languages) or if the user is using a third party software product that uses the C# platform like MarketDelta?
    Attached Files

Nobody ? Reason I ask is because some traders really stress their systems out and was wondering what exactly would simulate a user of multiple efs' and multiple apps using Esignal data. I came across this set of benchmarks and it showed that if you REALLY stress your system a hyperthreading Intel chip would be best (2 out of 3 of the tests at least) http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...64-fx53_7.html but don't know . I get to thinking maybe compiling runtime apps like efs' and the .NET platform would be best as to judge true stress. I'm just thinking out loud. I do know this, I've seen AMD chips smoke most Intel chips but under a load of multiple apps they get bogged down. After further investigation I found it was the immature chipsets and MB drivers that held it back. Some video cards don't tell but they have a different driver for Intel chips, one that supports better off loading and acceleration. As well as ram support timings. Rambling again, sorry

Comment

The HT of Intel is over hyped and underperforming. If the testers knew there stuff, they would have turned off HT and run the same tests...it would have shown that HT made very little difference to the results. Instead they bought into the Intel marketing hype.

The real advtage Intel has in simple tests like this is it large front end cache. They have to do these expensive (in upfront cost, size and power use and cooling requirements) cache's to make up for the primitive memory bus structure. As you move into apps with larger memory footprints or apps that move around large amounts of data Intel will fall apart.

I'm not sure about the graphics drivers, and for eSignal (which is all 2d based) I would be suprised if this would make a major difference - but have never tested it and cannot comment with any level of knowledge.

The drivers for the Opterons I tested worked well...but these were servers and gfx wasn't a worry.

G
      Garth

Comment

Working...
      X