problem - esignal slows down over time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem - esignal slows down over time

I am using esignal with several price charts and indicators. The longer I leave esignal open the slower the functionality becomes. If I leave it open for a couple hours or more during the trading day it eventually gets to the point where I can't even draw a trendline. If I close esignal and open it again, its nice and fast again - for a while, but then it again slows down until it grinds to a halt.

Is there any way to correct or combat this problem? Thanks.

Hi,

That's not typical behavior for the eSignal app so it sure sounds like something is eating up the memory and/or draining CPU time.

Check out KB Article 1640 on troubleshooting software conflicts. Go to the KnowledgeBase and type in 1640 and select Specified Article ID Number.

May also want to check the EFS Performance Monitor to see if an EFS is causing the problem (Tools/EFS/Performance Monitor).

You'll also want to open up the Windows Task Manager and monitor CPU usage while you're running eSignal. I suspect there's another program on your PC that's causing this but won't know for sure w/o more troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

What version of winDoze are you using. Prior to 2K there were memory leak issues with the OS. If you are using pre W2K, I say upgrade!

G
      Garth

Comment

Check out this link. Use of debugPrintln in efs's can create the situation you describe.

http://forum.esignal.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=48331

Additionally, if you have an efs that is drawing lines on the chart, an excessive number of lines can also create the situation you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by gspiker
          Hi,

What version of winDoze are you using. Prior to 2K there were memory leak issues with the OS. If you are using pre W2K, I say upgrade!

G

I'm using Windows XP Pro and I have dual Xeon 2.4 processors w/ 1GB RAM and esignal does not appear to be using that much CPU or memory , even when it's very slow.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJ
            Hi,

That's not typical behavior for the eSignal app so it sure sounds like something is eating up the memory and/or draining CPU time.

Check out KB Article 1640 on troubleshooting software conflicts. Go to the KnowledgeBase and type in 1640 and select Specified Article ID Number.

May also want to check the EFS Performance Monitor to see if an EFS is causing the problem (Tools/EFS/Performance Monitor).

You'll also want to open up the Windows Task Manager and monitor CPU usage while you're running eSignal. I suspect there's another program on your PC that's causing this but won't know for sure w/o more troubleshooting.

Thanks.
            The thing of it is, even as it's very slow and difficult to use, it is not eating up very much CPU or memory. I went to the EFS performance monitor but I did not see much going on in there. What should I be looking for?

Comment

FWIW, I would recommend taking sets of screen prints of ==>> 1) the formula output window; 2) eSignal Performance Monitor; 3) eSignal DataManager Screen and; 4) Windows Task Manager Screen (with the processes screen highlighted and sorted based on usage %) at different times throughout the day. That may provide a hint as to what is causing your machine to slow down.

edit - Once you do this, please post the screen prints and that may provide the clues necessary to figure it out
              Last edited by ; 11-17-2004, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I think I fixed this problem by disabling hyperthreading on my computer. If you're running Windows XP with a processor that supports hyperthreading, you may have to disable this feature or else Windows XP will not allow Esignal to use enough of the processor(s) that it needs. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X