decimal places

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decimal places

I really think it's important to have the option to have decimal places on all symbols. It can get really confusing as it is now, where some have them and some don't, some should have them in the tenths, some in the hundredths, and some even 5 spots in.

For example:

$RUT 620.50 has decimal
    AB #F 62050 should have in the hundredths
    $INDU 10570.60 has decimal
    YM #F 10583 has no decimal
    6E #F 129660 should have a decimal 5 spots in
    YG #F 4433 should have in the tenths

Having uniformity would be very helpful when glancing at many different markets.

I know you receive the data in these different formats, but is it possible to simplify?

Hello efremiv,

Please review the following text from our KB article 1411, eSignal - Futures Data Q&A .

Why do many futures like ES and NQ have no decimal point?
    We currently report prices on each future's contract as a whole number because the exchanges send it that way. Contracts trade in points and not dollars, so inserting a decimal point is not necessarily accurate in all instances. Traders often expect to see contracts like the E-minis in decimal because they trade more like equities, some other vendors display these contracts in decimals and it's easier to visualize them with the decimal in place.

Up to this point, we have elected to not transmit our futures prices in decimals because there are many 3rd party programs that use eSignal data and many of them have data databased on the user's PC. If we make a change to the way the data is sent, we will likely create significant databasing conflicts for those users storing data in the raw format. We have also surveyed customers on this topic and found that half of those surveyed, preferred that we keep the data as is.

Ideally, we are looking to implement a new feature in eSignal that will give the user an option on the desktop to set the display to add a decimal point or leave as is, yet leave the actual raw data in it's current form for the aforementioned reasons. That would hopefully give us the best of both worlds. No ETA on this new feature but it is on our development list.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I realize you just give us the data as you receive it. Since half of eSignal subscribers would like to see decimals, I guess a better question would be when can we expect to have this option? With that kind of demand you would think it would be the top priority.

Comment

Feature to convert the display of most futures to either decimals or whole #s is now available!

Download 7.8 today!

Thanks.

Comment

A big improvement! However, I may have found one bug: when I enter the decimal values into the alert form (say for ES Z4) and use the reset function, the reset values are wrong and unusable. I have to enter the old, integer-like alert values to get the proper values with the reset.

Comment

That's great! THANK YOU!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X