how to improve speed if I live in Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to improve speed if I live in Asia

I live in Hongkong. I am using eSignal and IB at the moment.

I find that eSignal data sometimes lag the IB data. Is there anything I can do to improve it? Is there a server in Asia so I can use it?? Does it help? thx.

BTW, I would like to explain more on this....

I used not to notice the difference between eSignal and IB. But recently I show on my chart an EFS which is a timer to show how much time has elapsed since the start of the bar. And it will update the data at, say, 1:34.... and then update again only at 1:39 (several seconds later). Meanwhile, the IB shows that the data are moving.

So it is not just a matter of delay. If it is just a matter of 1 second delay it is still ok but sometimes I am not getting update at all.

Pls

Comment

Richard
      I don't think that the results you see with that timer efs are necessarily indicative of lag. If I remember correctly an efs will execute only under the following conditions
      - Current trade price is different than the previous trade price.
      - Current trade price is at the bid and previous trade was at the ask and vice versa. The two trade prices can be the same in this instance.
      This means that a series of trades that are all at the same price and all at the bid or ask will not update the timer.
      What you may want to look at to verify possible lag is a Time and Sales window
      Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

But the price itself behaves like this as well. The situation is especially serious when the market just opens and the price is fluctuating a lot. Sometimes there is a breakout but the eSignal chart is not responding fast enough even though my IB data stream is already showing the move. Pls advise. thx.

Richard

Comment

Hi Richard,

May I ask which ISP you are using? In general ADSL is preferable to Cable. I received pretty good performance with data feeds using HKNET's 1.5Mbps but that was some time ago.

In the past 1 month or so I have experimented with a number of data feed providers as well as 2 different ISP's (in Singapore) and found eSignal to be the better of the lot by a noticeable margin. Which is why I also decided to go with eSignal and IB.

I have also heard very similar feedback from people living in the mainland.

As for the difference between eS and IB, I sometimes notice this well but for my particular situation it is not critical (I do not scalp). In my experience the data in quote windows updates faster than charts which is somewhat of a mystery. My guess is that it may be attributed to the way objects used to draw prices on charts have been coded or because of EFS's (albeit mine are not complicated at all).

Lastly, I remember reading somewhere that IB does not feed the same type of "complete" tick by tick data which is why their data packets are smaller and faster. But I'm no expert on this.

Rgds
          Eyal

Comment

which market do you trade?

Hi Richard and Eyal,

May I ask you guys which market do you trade where You live in
            Asia? ES/NQ ( US market ) or DAX.....?

Regards,

Goldfish

Comment

Hi Goldfish,

I do US Equities.. for a number of reasons such as: liquidity, less control by interest groups, easier availability of data/research, cost of transactions and shorting.

The disadvantages are having to deal with US providers, they can't understand my accent.. just kidding. It obviously involves working from 10pm to 4am, long distance calls and high exposure to a currency which I do not use for daily expenses.

Are you planning on trading Asia from the US or expecting to move to Asia?
              Last edited by TraderEyal; 11-24-2004, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X