option chain parameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• option chain parameters

what is the correct rate to input on the option chains when asked for the current risk free interest rate?

Jeddins,

The default value in eSignal for this field is 2. The Black-Scholes Method is a fairly complex calculation, so you may want to read through some articles regarding this method to obtain some different figures. Generally speaking, the risk-free rate should reflect the short term Treasury rate.

Comment

Jeddins,
      Since most options I trade are less than 3 months I use the 13wk T-Bill rate which can be found in real time using $IRX. Currently at 2.152. To be 100% accurate you would want to use the risk free rate that most closely approximated the time til expiration. i.e. for a front month option use the 30 day rate ( I don't remember the symbol though) or for a leap maybe the 1yr rate. Also, if you want more control of the calculations there is a free Black Scholes calculator that is an Excel pluggin at www.gregalton.com that works very nicely with the sigtools pluggin for real time analysis.

Comment

Working...
      X