Playback in 7.9 (was 7.8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playback in 7.9 (was 7.8)

I posted this wrt 7.8 and it was never resolved, so went back to 7.7. This problem persists in 7.9.

I have a very large Tick file, 199 Mb. It used to take about 5 mins. to load with 7.7. 7.8 has been attempting to load for over 2 hours and is still running 100% cpu. This load is also causing a lot of beeping so I had to turn off speakers. That did not happen with 7.7. I am loading using jump to a date past the end of the file. Perhaps this version recomputes all the charts after each tick?

Additional info:

Duane,
    This process has been very stable for the last couple revs of esignal. I made no major changes in my custom indicators. This file was under 200 mb, I have another file that I have no problems with in 7.7 that is 250 mb - I did not try that one in 7.8.

The final result was that the load took 2.5 hours, than failed on 'out of memory'. However, the data that did load was usable on all but one chart "es #f, 750v", whenever I tried to refresh that one, I got 'out of memory' errors again. The state of the "es #f 5000v" was out of sync, but I was able to edit (refresh) chart and reload indicators successfully.

I have audible cues in my efs files. These were never triggered in 7.7. The load would complete, but charts were out of sync so had to refresh and reload, but never any problems. In 7.8, the audible cues were continually being triggered, which is why I think the load algorithm has changed.

Conclusion:
    I am fairly sure the new algorith processes every tick when doing a jump to date. The desired behavior when doing a 'jump' is to load all the data than update the indicators as was the case in versions 7.7 and earlier. You can process tick by tick in the other modes. Are there configuration options that can change the behaviour back to what it was in 7.7. Or is there a safe way to keep both 7.7 and 7.9 installed so I can use 7.7 to look at historical data?

Just to follow up, 7.9 took 7 hr 20 min cpu time to load 3/4 of the file and than fail with an out of memory error. This file loaded fine in under 5 mins with 7.7.

Comment

Hello cashcarewins,

I've checked with development and they did not make any intentional changes to the tick replay feature between 7.7 and 7.8 or 7.9. It is possible that the EFS formulas that are applied to the chart while the tick file is being loaded are causing the excessive cpu usage and eventual out of memory error. Especially if the EFS is using any drawing functions. I previously tested a 75Mb tick replay file in 7.8 the last time you brought this to our attention and it loaded up in about 2 minutes.

As a test, try removing all EFS formulas from the chart that you are loading the tick replay data into and also make sure you do not have any symbol or interval linking turned on for that chart. The symbol link and interval link icons in the top right of the chart should have and "X" like below.

Then load your tick file and let me know what happens.

On another note, the file size of the tick data you’re trying to use may be the source of the problem. This feature wasn't intended to be used this way. It was originally designed to test formulas on 10 days of tick data or less. The software allows the end user to concatenate files together to create a longer tick history, but this should be done within reason. By continually adding more and more data to the file, you should expect to run into limitations at some point.
      Jason K.
      Project Manager
      eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
      JavaScript for EFS Video Series
      EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
      EFS Glossary
      Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
      X