Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many users on each version of eSignal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many users on each version of eSignal?

Do your servers log the version number of eSignal that users log on with and do you keep a trend report on what % of users are using which version of eSignal?

I ask this because I have upgraded all my indicators to eSignal 7.9 and released them to my clients only to discover that a lot of them are now uninstalling 7.9 and going back to an earlier version of eSignal and are having to switch back to older versions of the indicators.

These older versions don't have the new features that I've added and I'm not going to add them to the older versions because some of the stuff is EFS2 specific.

What I would like to know as a commercial EFS developer is when (say) 50% of eSignal users have made the migration to 7.9 which would help me encourage other clients onto the new version.

I obviously have to switch ahead of all the others because I have to test all the indicators on the new versions of eSignal and tweak any nuances that may have been introduced (example: getDay() -> getDay(0) ) before I suggest that they switch.

Your help is much appreciated.
    Standing on the shoulders of giants.

Hello Wildfiction,

We do track that type of information, but I don't think we can make the information available to anyone outside eSignal. While you upgrade and test your commercial formulas in EFS2, please report any problems you encounter to the EFS 2 Development forum so we can address them. We will provide work-arounds if possible while development works on a fix for the problem for the next release. The getDay() vs. getDay(0) issue will be fixed in the 7.9.1 release, which is scheduled for release sometime in June. Once you have a solution for any issue affecting any of your commercial formulas, you should then be able to encourage your subscribers to upgrade to the latest version. I've been using a little function to verify the users build number before allowing a formula to execute to avoid receiving a formula error. It will draw a hyperlinked text message on the chart informing the user to upgrade. The link will take them to our download page. Please feel free to incorporate this into your scripts.

PHP Code:
    var bVersion null;

function 
    main() {
        if (
    bVersion == nullbVersion verify();
        if (
    bVersion == false) return;    

return;
    }

function 
    verify() {
        var 
    false;
        if (
    getBuildNumber() < 719) {

drawTextRelative(525"This study requires version 7.9 or later."

Color.blackColor.blueText.BOLD|Text.RELATIVETOLEFT|Text.RELATIVETOBOTTOM,

null14"error");

drawTextRelative(510"Click HERE to upgrade.@URL=http://www.esignal.com/download/default.asp"

Color.blackColor.blueText.BOLD|Text.RELATIVETOLEFT|Text.RELATIVETOBOTTOM,

null14"upgrade");
            return;
        } else {

true;
        }

return 
    b;

Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Wildficton,

To give you some sense of migration to current versions, we'll have several thousand users get the latest version w/in days of it's release. It then steadily climbs from there, depending somewhat on what new features we've added. Within a few months, the majority of users will be on either the latest build or the prior.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Scott and Jason,

That does help some.

I'm using eSignal 7.9 encryption. Correct me if I'm wrong but the new encryption without a password is not backward compatible right?

So what happens if a 7.8 user loads a 7.9 *new* encrypted EFS file?

Comment

If they load a 7.9 encrypted file, they will receive a message on the screen saying that the EFS can only be used on v7.9 o above, and provide a link for them to download the new version.

(note this feature is only available in the 7.9 Encryption, due to the way we could add this code in, if you want it in your non-encrypted EFSs, you'll have to do it manually as Jason mentions below).

Comment

That's useful info - thanks - because I've upgraded to 7.9 I haven't been able to see what sort of message is shown when 7.9 encrypted EFS is loaded into 7.8 - thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X