compressing data /ratios on advance charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compressing data /ratios on advance charts

I am new to esignal and require a bit of help with some teething problems.

i can't seem to get all the data available on my advanced charts to compress into one screen. the only way i can see some of the historical data is to click and drag.!!
    can anyone assist with the actions i need to take to correct this.

second and last problem is with creating a relative chart or i believe it is also known as a ratio chart......I.E how a share is performing against its index e.t.c.
    i have being unable to find the actions to create it

your help will be much appreciated
    af80

Hi Af80,

I posted another message regarding this not too long ago. I borrowed content from that post as I think it will help. There are two ways to change the compression of the chart data. Both are mentioned below.

If you are still not able to change the chart via this method, you may want to try using the Increase Bar Spacing and Decrease Bar Spacing buttons on the Advanced Chart Toolbar. If you do not see this toolbar, go to the View menu, and choose Advanced Chart Toolbar.

Comment

thankyou duaneg..........i've tried both those meathods. however you can only look at around 2 years of a ten year chart.
      i personally need to beable to see the whole chart on one screen i hope this explains it better.

Comment

af80,

Thanks for the clarification. There are basically three ways to view more data. The first is through data compression, this is the content of my earlier post. By compressing the data, you lose clarity, but gain a deeper visual data set. The second is actually switching to an alternate interval. If you are looking at Daily data, try switching the view to a Weekly interval. The final way is to actually make the chart physically bigger. If you already have the window maximized, then there isn't much to do other than expand it a 2nd monitor if you have one available.

Any combination of these should yield the result you are looking for.

Comment

just out of interest why does a standard chart let you look at all the data available without going to bigger intervals i.e weeklys??

all you have to do is go to chart properties and enter in as many days as you like!!!

Comment

af80,

The data in the Standard Chart is the same for Advanced Charting. In the Standard Chart window, by selecting the number of days you wish to view, you basically performing the same horizontal compression that we did in the Advanced Chart window. The bars become less clear, but more data is in view. Once the data is compressed to the max, there isn't any other viable solution other than to go to a larger monitor, a second monitor, or a higher interval. Hope this helps.

Comment

afraid it isn't the same because as i said you you have the choice to look at alll the data on a standard chart, you lose that choice in advanced charting. (obviously without going to a bigger interval)

thanks for your help anyway....

Comment

af80,

Well, it doesn't happen very often, but I fumbled the snap on this one. You are correct, the Standard Charting has an unlimited compression capability that the Advanced Chart does not. If the monitor issue and compression of the Advanced Chart doesn't meet your needs, the Standard Chart is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                X