symbol arithmetic in charts and quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• symbol arithmetic in charts and quotes

I am trying to use an arithmetic symbol expression for a quote window and for a chart. All I am getting to work are simple subtractions in a quote window.

I would like to do something like:

($adv) * 100 / ($adv+$decl)

to get advancing stocks as precent of total that have changed (not including the unchanged).

I am not getting it to work. (I am on v 7.8). I have found nothing that describes this in the help files.

Can you assist?

jcprinster
    You will need 7.9 with the new Spread Symbol Settings tool to be able to do this
    The syntax will be ($adv * 100) / ($adv + $decl) Note that a space is required before and after each operator. You will also be able to save the expression with a name of your choice and use it in other expressions if you wish.
    Alex

Comment

Thanks. I upgraded to 7.9, and I entered the expression into a quote window. It works like a charm.

One follow-up question. Is there any way to clip the displayed digits for an expression like this, in a Quote window?

It often is displaying 5 or 6 digits, and I would prefer to reduce that to 2.

Thanks.

Comment

jcprinster
        In version 7.9.1 (due out shortly) you will be able to set the number of decimals in the Decimal formatting box.
        Alex

Comment

I just discovered the Spread Symbol Settings under the tool menu. I see how that simplifies entering expressions. I entered the expression there, and now I see how it can be used like a 'regular' symbol. Nice feature !

I did not see any way to define number of digits, though. Any ideas?

Comment

Thanks very much. I will look forward for the upgrade to 7.9.1

Comment

jcprinster
              As to using the name of the expression directly as a symbol note that you can then also use the name of the expression in another expression which makes the tool very flexible
              Alex

Comment

Working...
              X