Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tile vs stack studies default tabs

Hello

In an advanced page window you can tile or stack studies. If you stack studies and thus hide them all, except for one, you will have a description on the bottom of the page of the parameters of that study. If you change the title of that study you will still have your new title and the parameters of that study.

therefore if you have multiple studies within studies such as two MACD'S or two STO or different periods then you can imagine along the bottom you will have a huge description to the title.

what I am trying to do, and I do not think it is possible to do, is to shrink the info to what I desire such as 10 letters max and to not include the default parameters from esignal along the bottom tabs.

Ex: In an excel spreadsheet you can change the name of the tab along the bottom of the sheet to what you desire.

Therefore is there a way other than changing the title (which I have done) to remove/hide the eSignal default parameters along the bottom tab so that we could save space and get to the next studies quicker other than holding down the left / right arrow???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Pogman

Pogman
    You can hide the parameters in the title of an efs by adding a setShowTitleParameters(false) statement in preMain.
    If you want you can also create an option to display/hide the parameters through Edit Studies. For an example of how to do this see any one of the formulas in the EFS2 Custom folder as they all include this setting.
    Alex

Comment

Hi Alex

Thanks for the speedy reply and suggestions. But I found another short cut around it by switching all my indicators to EFS2 and they have the paramaters on/off function. thus I was able to do what I wished by another method, albeit it took quite awhile to reconfigure.

As for your first opening line it is like speaking a foreign language to me...as I do not have your expertise. anyhow I tried what you said with a basic ma efs and got an error, and gave up. Easy for you near impossible for me.

A suggestion I would have is to require that all efs code indicators in the future have some basic functions that we could all alter at our wish. So that anyone doing a basic code must include the basic efs2 "formula parameters".

My suggestion is that all efs indicators past and present should be reconfigured to have the ability of an EFS2 "formula parameter" code, which are wonderful and easy to use for us code dummies. This would be time consuming but all the indicators past and present could be categorized and upgraded to EFS2 parameters and be of great easy use to the esignal community.

Thanks Again.

Pogman

Comment

Pogman

But I found another short cut around it by switching all my indicators to EFS2 and they have the paramaters on/off function.

I am aware of that having written those studies myself which is why I suggested you look at them to see how it is done.
        As to your suggestions those decisions are up to the persons who program (or programmed) the efs(s). Irrespective adding the option to any efs entails only a few lines of code.
        If you are interested in seeing how to do it post the efs you were trying to modify and I can show you the required changes
        Alex

Comment

Hi Alex

Very generous of you. Here is a simple indicator VolumeMA efs that I have added the last 5 lines after looking at EFS2 indicator code. I assumed that you would have to add to the end of the code but I get an error message.

any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Pogman

Copyright © eSignal, a division of Interactive Data Corporation. 2002. All rights reserved.
          This sample eSignal Formula Script (EFS) may be modified and saved under a new
          filename; however, eSignal is no longer responsible for the functionality once modified.
          eSignal reserves the right to modify and overwrite this EFS file with each new release.
          ************************************************** ************************************************** */
          function main(nInputLength) {
          if(nInputLength == null)
          nInputLength = 13;

var nLength = nInputLength;
          var i;
          var vSum = 0.0;
          var vValue;

vValue = volume(0, -nLength);

if(vValue == null) {
          return;
          }

for(i = 0; i < nLength; i++) {
          vSum += vValue[i];
          }

return (vSum / nLength);

}

fpArray[x] = new FunctionParameter("Params", FunctionParameter.BOOLEAN);
          with(fpArray[x++]){
          setName("Show Parameters");
          setDefault(false);

Comment

Pogman
            It just happens that you picked an efs that does not have a preMain function making it only slightly more complicated.
            Anyhow with any efs you have two solutions. The first (and simpler) one is to just switch off the parameters and you do that by adding setShowTitleParameters(false); in the preMain function of the efs (I had to add preMain to the script you posted but most efs already have it)

PHP Code:
            //begin section added by ACM
            function preMain(){
            setStudyTitle("VolMA");
            setShowTitleParameters(false);
            }
            //end section added by ACM

function main(nInputLength) {
                if(
            nInputLength == null)

nInputLength 13;

var 
            nLength nInputLength;
                var 
            i;
                var 
            vSum 0.0;
                var 
            vValue;

vValue volume(0, -nLength);

if(
            vValue == null) {
                    return;
                }

for(
            0nLengthi++) {

vSum += vValue[i];
                }

return (
            vSum nLength);

The second solution which allows you to switch on/off the display of the parameters is to add a Function Parameter in the preMain function. Here is the same efs with that option added. Comments are in the script itself.
            For more information on Function Parameters see this article in the EFS KnowledgeBase.
            Alex

PHP Code:
            //begin section added by ACM
            function preMain(){

setStudyTitle("VolMA");

var 
            fp00 = new FunctionParameter("Parameters"FunctionParameter.BOOLEAN);

fp00.setDefault(false);
            }
            //end section added by ACM

function main(nInputLength,Parameters) {//ACM added "Parameters" in the brackets

setShowTitleParameters(Parameters);//ACM added this line

if(nInputLength == null)

nInputLength 13;

var 
            nLength nInputLength;
                var 
            i;
                var 
            vSum 0.0;
                var 
            vValue;

vValue volume(0, -nLength);

if(
            vValue == null) {
                    return;
                }

for(
            0nLengthi++) {

vSum += vValue[i];
                }

return (
            vSum nLength);

Comment

Hi Alex

thanks for taking the time to show me. I understand this simple efs and the changes you made.
              However, when I tried to implement it to another more complicated & different efs I get errors. I am just not trained in this and it just seems too complicated for me. Again, it seems way over my head but thanks for trying.

I will just keep things simple. But I do appreciate the time you took to explain the preMain and the parameters and how they go together and I will remember this for the future.

thanks again.

Pogman

Comment

Pogman
                If you are interested in learning about EFS you may want to go through the EFS KnowledgeBase and specifically the sections Introduction to EFS which will provide you with the foundation to EFS and Help Guides which includes guides to creating indicators, strategies, using the Formula Wizard etc
                Alex

Comment

Working...
                X