help - magnet won't go away in advanced chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help - magnet won't go away in advanced chart

I have been having this odd issue for a while now, when I draw trendlines I cannot draw with a 'free hand' - while I draw, the lines keep being jittery and jumpy, as if the magnet feature was on with a large snap length setting. the problem is, that the magnet is off!

is there any suggestion as to how to fix this? i want to be able to draw lines with a free hand without the line trying to guess where I want it to be, if you understand what I mean.

Thanks for your help!

Hello 50 cent,

Can you provide some example symbols that you are seeing this on? Also, can you reply with the eSignal version you are running?

eSignal has always required lines to be anchored to a specific bar and price, so technically drawing free-hand (where anchors are based on pixels vs. time/price) isn't possible in eSignal at this time. All the Magnet Tool does is snap to the High or Low of a bar if you are within a certain number of pixels (i.e. the Snap Length.)

With that said, I believe I am able to duplicate what you are reporting. When I'm on an NYSE stock, the minimum price that I can anchor a line on is $0.01; I can't draw in between pennies, so to speak. Please clarify if this is what you are wanting to do, or if there is something else being seen.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

I believe what you wrote explains the phenomena - it's much more apparent on the ES than on the YM for example, since usually the YM has more ticks condensed in the same chart. If the chart includes the ES in a narrow range then the problem becomes much worse - which sort of proves it.

The funny thing is that I use esignal for a few years and never felt I have a problem. Only recently I am really having problem drawing trendlines. The line keeps jumping to places I don't intend it to be.

As for version this happens both in 7.9 and 7.9.1, and on different machines as well.

If you think there may be something that can help - then please share, otherwise I guess I'll just have to live with it

Thanks

Comment

This makes trendlines useless IMO. E.g. if I want to draw a trendline for an indicator, between two pivots. It always tries to snap to the price.

Comment

Working...
        X