Running E-Signal Pro 7.9.1 as User

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running E-Signal Pro 7.9.1 as User

Is there any special reason for running E-Signal as an administrator and not as a normal user? Because its very unhappy to put the password for an administrator(Which should be top secret) on the machine. Also the user of the machine is not the administrator so where is the reason for doing so?

ErichP
    FWIW I run eSignal as a Standard User and and not as an Administrator (for the very same reasons you mentioned). However when installing or upgrading eSignal I change my account to Administrator status and then once the installation process is completed I return it to Standard User privileges.
    Alex

Comment

I have a problem running eSignal - or more precisely the News Manager as normal user: Whenever I click on a heading to retrieve the body of a story, I get the error message: "Error retrieving body. Check for out of disk space or access grants."

Since this works when I login as Admin clearly access rights are the reason.

I could not figure out which files or registry keys are accessed to grant the user the right to do so.

Any ideas?

Many Thanks

Bernd Kuerbs

Comment

Hi Bernd,

I just sent a note to the developer for the News app so I'll reply again when I hear back. Certainly curious why it makes a difference to logon as admin.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Bernd,

We do have some recorded reasons for that error messages but we need a few more facts to narrow down the specific cause.

What version of eSignal are you running?
          What OS version (sounds like XP)?

Do you typically run in user or admin mode?

When you run in User mode, does the News Mgr ever retrieve stories OK or do you get that error message each and every time you are in User mode?

When you get that message, have you tried shutting down and restarting in User mode again? Same msg or did stories come back?

Have you ever seen this error in Admin mode?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJ

We do have some recorded reasons for that error messages but we need a few more facts to narrow down the specific cause.

What version of eSignal are you running?
            What OS version (sounds like XP)?
            eSignal 7.91 Build 732.

OS is Windows 2000 Pro with all Service Packs installed.
            Do you typically run in user or admin mode?
            Till a few days ago I used admin mode. Due to security concerns I switched to user mode.
            When you run in User mode, does the News Mgr ever retrieve stories OK or do you get that error message each and every time you are in User mode?
            I did not click on every header, but tried several. I got the error message each time.
            When you get that message, have you tried shutting down and restarting in User mode again? Same msg or did stories come back?
            Restart of eSignal does not change the behaviour. I get the error message again.

Have you ever seen this error in Admin mode?
            Never.

Hth

Bernd Kuerbs

Comment

Bernd
              In my experience I have found that with win2k and winXP running on drives formatted as NTFS eSignal needs to be run from the user account with which it is installed (unless one modifies some of the Policies).
              The solution I adopted is to always install eSignal from my normal user account set temporarily to have administrative rights. Once the installation is completed I then reset the user account back to its normal privileges (ie Power User).
              For a quick way to switch privileges see the solution suggested in this thread. The only difference is that in win2k the command to use is control userpasswords and not control userpasswords2
              Hope this helps
              Alex

Comment

Thanks for the info Alex.

Bernd, thanks for the answers. It's likely that Alex's assessment is the correct one in this case.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJ
                  Thanks for the info Alex.

Bernd, thanks for the answers. It's likely that Alex's assessment is the correct one in this case.

Thanks.
                  Sorry, I don't think so.

I have installed eSignal in one account (with admin rights) and then turned this account into a normal user account.

I have not tested everything of eSignal, but charts, efs etc, seem to work. The only exception - so far - is the one I mentioned in my previous post: the News Manager.

Bernd Kuerbs

Comment

BKuerbs,

You could try giving the news manager explicit permission to run as your account (ussually this is done by default). To do this, right click nm.exe, which is located in your esignal directory, and select properties. Then select the security tab and give full permission to your user account.

If you don't see the security tab click on Tools, Folder Options, View and then at the bottom of the list uncheck Use simple file sharing.

Comment

Bernd

Originally posted by BKuerbs
                      Sorry, I don't think so.

I have installed eSignal in one account (with admin rights) and then turned this account into a normal user account.

I have not tested everything of eSignal, but charts, efs etc, seem to work. The only exception - so far - is the one I mentioned in my previous post: the News Manager.
                      FWIW that is the same procedure that I describe in my prior reply and that I have found to work.
                      Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro
                        Bernd

FWIW that is the same procedure that I describe in my prior reply and that I have found to work.
                        Alex
                        Well, does not work for me.

Is there any (system)service or component (of the news manager) the news manager uses? And which requires admin rights? If such a service exits - and is started by my user when eSignal is started instead of running automatically at system start it would explain my problems.

Currently I use a script ("MakeMeAdmin") to start eSignal with Admin rights.

Regards

Bernd Kuerbs

Comment

Bernd

Is there any (system)service or component (of the news manager) the news manager uses? And which requires admin rights?
                          As far as I can see at my end there isn't given that I can run the News Manager without admin rights however you may want to have this confirmed by someone at eSignal.
                          Have you tried running a complete uninstall and reinstall of eSignal using the user account (with privileges set temporarily to admin)?
                          Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro
                            Have you tried running a complete uninstall and reinstall of eSignal using the user account (with privileges set temporarily to admin)?
                            Alex
                            That's something I'm afraid of. Never change a running system. I consider this Admin/NoAdmin stuff a minor change, because I can revoke it anytime.

Sooner or later I'll have to replace my computer and then I'll have to do a fresh install.

Many Thanks for your help.

Bernd Kuerbs

Comment

Working...
                            X