Price Change BarCalculation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Change BarCalculation...

I have been using the Price Change Bar chart interval (example 3P) for some time and find it very effective - the problem I am having is with respect to how the bars are calculated. I have searched high and low and have found brief explanations of how it is [supposed to be] calculated in the help file and in the FAQs on eSignal, but after spending a significant amount of time comparing a downloaded tick file for a specific day and a data export and chart of the same day for a 3P chart (used IBM), I can conclusively say that it does not measure the price changes as explained. I am not looking to change the way it is calculated, I just want to know *how* it is calculated. The calculation methodololgy is important because we are using 3rd party data for expansive back testing and need to mimic the chart. There was a confirmed bug in an earlier post, but I am not sure that this bug is the one I am seeing (I can not find any consistent logic). That post is here. The explanation in the eSignal FAQ is here. When using a 1 or a 2 price bar change, it does follow the described logic, but not with more than 2P (I used a 3P chart).

Could any of the gurus out there, or someone who was privy to the logic used in the application tell me how this is calculated?

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by rmawji; 10-24-2005, 06:06 AM.

Example files (1 of 2)...

Three files are attached (over 2 postings). The .epf file is the raw tick file (from which the 3P chart price data for IBM is built), the IBM_3P.prc is the chart price data exported from a 3P chart for IBM (considered the 'correct' version of the 3P chart), and IBM_3P_OUTPUT.prc, the chart price data for a 3P chart built from the raw tick data created using the rules specified in the eSignal literature. Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Comment

Example Files (2 of 2)...

Second file...note that the file IBM_1stHalf.epf and IBM_2ndHalf.epf in the two zip files need to be appended together (due to size restrictions on file postings for this discussion forum). To do this, open IBM_2ndHalf.epf in notepad and copy the contents and paste it at then end of the IBM_1stHalf.epf file (just open it in notepad also and scroll to the end) and then rename it to just IBM.epf for clarity purposes.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by rmawji; 10-24-2005, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X