very Delayed popup window opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very Delayed popup window opening

Since loading 8.0 (during the holiday Monday), I've had problems opening right-click chart functions that require window popups (ie. Edit Studies, Line List, Templates, Bar Editor). But chart functions w/o popups (trend lines, cursor tracking, cursor window) work with no problems.

When opening a popup window related function, nothing happens for many minutes except a beep when I click on the chart (Esc will exit the attempt to open the function, and the beep).

As an example, I was able to use Basic Studies to add Volume to a chart, but then waited over 10 minutes before the popup window asking for volume bar colors and thickness appeared.

Yesterday, I used Add/Remove Programs to remove and then reinstall 8.0. Same problem again today, even in a New Adv default chart.

This is happening on my 'trading-only' computer and I'm very diligent on removing non-essential programs (using TUT). This problem appears to be a case of other (eSignal?) processing having priority, until a slow period allows the popup window to open, but my XP Task Mgr is only at 60% CPU loading, with no unusual activity occurring.

Running eSignal Diagnostics didn't flag any problems I could see.

Has this problem been reported by anyone else? Maybe I should Add/Remove to remove 8.0 and go back to esignal_791r1.exe (dated 9/5/2005) and see if the problem persists? Otherwise, any other suggestions?

Thanks
    shaeffer

Hi shaeffer,

I do not have the problem you describe with version 8. If I were to guess, using among other things, what you included in your description, something is likely corrupted and a complete uninstall, reinstall is in order. You can find the instructions in this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase. I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I've already re-installed 7.9.1..... the problem is still there (It took 24 minutes to open the Quote Board >> Properties window, after the market closed today). Both during this re-install (and the re-install yesterday of 8.0) I used Add/Remove Programs, but did not remove the 7 files mentioned in your link, nor did I remove the eSignal folder.

I have my EFS's, Charts and Layouts in separate directories within the eSignal directory, and the whole previous directory moved and renamed to eSignal Backup. So I think I can simply copy those particular directories back to a new install to get at my files.

BUT, if this time I remove those 7 other files, will I lose the placement of my charts within my monitors, as I think the .ini files store chart coordinates? What else would I lose by doing this more complete program removal?

Regards
      shaeffer

Comment

Hi shaeffer,

You are most welcome. The Knowledgebase indicates this activity will also result in the deletion of any custom file you may have created within eSignal (a quote or portfolio window for ex.) I have gone through this once or twice and as I remember, you will likely lose some of your saved configuration. My recommendation is that you may consider renaming the file and extensions of those files you are supposed to delete (I think this is what I did). I never did re-used any of these files however.

ch1.oldnew
        reader1.oldini
        winsig1.oldini
        winros1.oldini
        winros1.oldfdb
        winros1.oldsdb
        dbcapi1.olddll

On the bright side, since you already know to configure your workspace, it should not take you much time to restore it. I recommend against staying rolled back to version 7.9.1, but that is your call, as I am not familiar with your needs (only privy to the questions you ask on your thread).

Another thing to consider is to restore your system to a backup point one week ago when it was behaving as expected. This option has both advantages and disadvantages, which are self evident. My personal recommendation is to bite the bullet and start over with a clean install (while backing up your critical files).

Comment

Originally posted by stevehare2003
          Hi shaeffer,

You are most welcome. The Knowledgebase indicates this activity will also result in the deletion of any custom file you may have created within eSignal (a quote or portfolio window for ex.)
          Thanks again for the reply Steve. Hmmm.... quote windows have unique file names, so hopefully they can be copied back?

On the bright side, since you already know to configure your workspace, it should not take you much time to restore it.
          73 windows in 6, 19" monitors would take a lot of floating, repositioning and resizing, is why I'm reluctant to do this.

Another thing to consider is to restore your system to a backup point one week ago when it was behaving as expected. This option has both advantages and disadvantages, which are self evident. My personal recommendation is to bite the bullet and start over with a clean install (while backing up your critical files).
          I can try a system restore - good idea.

The only thing I changed was efs's, so I'm looking at them to see what I might have done.

Thanks again
          shaeffer

Comment

I tried a system restore to well before when the problems were occurring .... it did not make a difference.

I re-installed 8.0 (without using Add/Remove or deleting the 7 system files) and then starting removing efs's, since they are the only thing I've really changed in the past months. That did not make a difference, but a strange thing occurred! While attempting to open Edit Studies or Line List windows and getting only a beep when I clicked in the chart, I accidently touched the Alt key, and the windows opened !!!!

This happens over and over again. Selecting the command alone will not open the command window, but selecting the command, then pressing Alt does. Maybe that indicates a program corruption as suggested before, but maybe that suggests another solution?

I opened some very very old layouts, and then eSignal command windows would open nicely, without the Alt key.

Way back, I learned that a chart of 1/$TRINQ had to be opened to include an extra hour (6:30 - 14:00 PST) to work, and would not display one day only. Is that still the case?

Another problem I've had for many months is that in the morning, some charts will not open completely. The cursor window finally says OK with the chart half open, then I Ctrl + click-OK which finishes opening the window. I recall others had this problem.

Another problem is my daily charts - particularly the Nasdaq. It will open fine before the market open, but will not display current day info after the open, until I Ctrl-clickOK

I'm reluctant to do the TOTAL uninstall, for the reason mentioned before. But the Alt key solution is only a partial fix. When I want to open an efs, the efs list window opens, with the tiny arrow at the bottom to allow scrolling further down. And instead of scolling quickly down like it should, the list ticks down at about one new efs listing per two seconds. So something is still tying up the program. I don't know if the info above will suggest another solution (instead of a total uninstall)?

Regards
            shaeffer

Comment

Hi shaeffer,

What you describe hints at corruption somewhere, likely in your layout which you are so hesitant to re-create. My advice is to just let it go...

In my opinion, you are spending an inordinate amount of time trying to recover something that has been corrupted in some manner.

Either do a complete re-install and re-create your layout or re-create your layout from scratch with the current install.

Comment

Hi Steve,

I did a complete re-install, but then when I copied my latest .LAY file (and associated chart files) over, the same problem occurred...... so you are right that the problem appears to be with my layout.

Is a Layout more than just the sum of its components (charts, quote lists, QB's etc)? By that I'm asking if all the components in the layout are ok, could the layout still be at fault?

Or conversely, if the fault is with one of the components, will opening those components in a new layout not simply recreate the problem in the new layout?

I think I did a complete uninstall. I copied and renamed the existing eSignal directory to save it. I renamed the 7 files mentioned in your link by adding 'old' to the name . I used Add/Remove to remove the program, then deleted the eSignal directory. Then I installed the latest version. What seems strange is that my hotkeys, which were formerly saved as 'My Hotkeys' are now part of the default hotkeys. Did dragging over my latest .LAY file drag over the hotkeys as well? Or are hotkey files stored under another name, elswhere than within the .LAY files?

Regards
                shaeffer

Comment

Hi shaeffer,

You have put together six questions of which I cannot provide accurate or substantive answer(s). I would like to help, but for me (or someone else) to do so could take upwards of a couple hours, especially given there is corruption in your layout that you re-opened.

I recommend as a minimum that you do not use your old layout, and while probably not necessary, consider another complete re-install. To answer your questions you should probably perform some testing of your new layout as you are putting it together.

Comment

Working...
                  X