DirectX & eSignal, 8 monitors, maximising charts problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX & eSignal, 8 monitors, maximising charts problem

Have the following: 8x21"CRT's, W2000, 3gigRam, 30+ open charts, Matrox G550AGP, 2xNvidia NVS400 PCI., Pagefile set to over 10,000 (largest available)
    When wanting to enlarge a window (maximize) the image, (at a certain point) will not get larger even though the window is now maximized to the edges of the screen (just empty space and/or part of the wallpaper fills the other part of the enlarged chart/window, past the point where the content only extended to), only when shrinking the window back again (at a certain point) the image will shrink with it, but not enlarge. (After a re-boot the charts behave fine for a while, until I open/close other applications and/or copy/paste to clipboard, then gradually charts won’t maximize again)
    This problem (enlarging/maximizing) does not happen when running Excel (etc.) or SuperCharts at the same time, but does appear in eSignal and IQTrader (my Broker’s OrderPlacement platform, which is also controlled by eSignal datafeed and uses streaming application protocols).
    DirectX, (I have the latest version April2006), and just realized last 24 hours, I think that is where the problem is. When running “dxdiag” (START-RUN) and test for the DirectDraw and 3D, during the test all eSignal charts turn white (on and off) except for Excel, SuperCharts, etc., and after the test is completed (with no errors), I get back some of the resources and I can/might be able maximize my charts again, but only for a little while; then back to same problem again.
    Have also downloaded the DirectX control panel 9.0c which allows tweaking lots of settings, but Google searches say “don’t touch, unless you know what you are doing”.
    What I am looking for, is the correct settings for DirectX, as I belief, a too slow or too fast GraphicsCard “interface”/”setup”/”configuration”/”Windows-controlled”/”set-parameters” need to be balanced just right. Too slow, charts draw sluggish, too fast > can’t handle situation and/or the above.
    My Thoughts are that DirectX is controlling/handling the setup too fast/incorrect for eSignal charting situation.
    Does anyone have solution and/or knowledge of DirectX, or any other suggestion?
    (By the way, did have all Matrox cards to start off with [thinking it was Graphics Card problem], then replaced all Matrox with Nvidia, but NO difference at all.)

You may be running up against issues of video ram maximization. Try lowering the bit depth to 8-bit.

Comment

8 bit?

I assume you are referring to the graphics display Properties under Windows. The settings currently available on my PC for the primary monitor (AGP Matrox) are [TrueColor 32,24,16bit & 256colors (but at 256 setting the screen/color looks too awful); with the 24bit selection missing on the Nvidia cards and other displays.

After tweaking and changing these setting to 16bit, the problems as per my original post are fixed.
      Thank You.

Furthermore, only changing the setting to 16bit for the primary display (which is the AGP Matrox card) and leaving the settings at 32bit for all the other screens (running on PCI Nvidia cards), works fine.
      So my question is, does this setting work fine because of it being the primary display or because it’s the AGP card? And subsequent questions then would be, if its because of the AGP card, how then does Windows treat this? Does only look at the settings on AGP and treat the rest of the PC as well?
      Also, when I replace the Matrox AGP with the Nvidia AGP, (in order to have all Nvidia cards) the system does not respond well.

How exactly is BIT related to video cards and video RAM?
      Will this be an issue with PCIexpress?
      Should a new system be built on XP64bit, to get better Video performance?
      What components should be used to built the best PC for Video performance and eSignal or alike?
      Any answers/comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Comment

Well you raise important questions. My level of knowledge extends to the fact that the more bit depth you are displaying (multiply bit depth by resolution to get rough size of image on display), the more bits need to be moved around on the bus. I would think changing the bit depth would have helped on the PCI cards, since the bandwidth there is more constrained. I am thinking about this myself, as I look for an upgrade. I see the Tyan K8WE with dual 16x PCIe lanes as possibility. With that I can move to Nvidia NVS440 for quad display and another Geforce (high end) for gaming etc. I noticed for instance, on my system (two NVS280 on PCI and 6600GT on AGP), that the displays are much more responsive on AGP, and that redraws on the PCI displays seem to spike CPU.

Comment

Working...
        X