strange charting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange charting problems

I'm a new esignal user so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm having a couple of bad problems with advanced charts. I'm only using charts with forex data, and mostly GBP A0-FX.

The first problem seems to only occur on Daily charts. It is intermittant. It usually looks fine but sometimes the bar data is way off. For instance, right now on GBP A0-FX daily, 09/21/2006 opened at 1.90220. The previous bar, 09/20/2006, closed at 1.88700. I'm 100% positive that the price did not gap up 152 pips. So something is wrong here. I have restarted eSignal and rebooted my computer but its still the same.

The second problem only occurs on longer intraday charts, like 240, 360, and 480. I am EST timezone so I have created a time template with the following settings:

Interval: I-Default
    # Days: Dynamic
    Start time: 3:00
    End time: 3:00

What's really odd is that sometimes the charts look perfect. Then other times they have huge gaps all over the place. Its as if sometimes the time template is not taking effect. I have tried everything but nothing seems to fix this.

Anyone have any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Regards,
    Mark

One other item I wanted to mention... The problem with longer timeframe charts seems to only happen occationally. For instance, saturday I was looking at charts and I could not get them to work right. However sunday they pretty much worked fine all day. Tonight (right now) they are not displaying correctly. Although for most of the week so far they have worked fine.

I dont know if this could help trouble shoot the problem but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Regards,
    Mark

Comment

I had the same problem tonight with GBP A0-FX.

I've been using esignal for years and can count on one hand the number of times I've seen gaps in the chart like tonight.

It's an amazingly reliable application, never aborts and frequently faster in delivering quotes then most execution systems I execute my orders with can have it's advantages..

You may want to check the systems requirements, the faster your systems the better, depending on what you are doing.

You can press cntl and click on the green bar on top of the cursor box that displays requesting....receiving....OK...and the data will get reloaded which usually will correct the problem.

That actually didn't work tonight, but I changed to a few other symbols and then back to GBP and it worked.

I had some intermittant network problems a little earlier and think it may have been related.
      Glen Demarco
      [email protected]

Comment

demarcog,

Can you view 720 minute charts for GBP A0-FX? Or any currency pair for that matter? They have gaps all over the place for on my system. The gap on the daily chart for GBP is fixed however.

I think my system is sufficient. Its 1GB ram 3.4 GHz P4. I only have 2 charts open. I do change time frames frequently, but today I didnt get very far in my studies because I couldnt pull up the charts I wanted.

Overall I like esignal so far. This chart problem is kinda bad for me right now however. I really need to look at the longer minute charts. I even tried reinstalling esignal but it didnt help.

Regards,
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by oortcloud
          demarcog,

Can you view 720 minute charts for GBP A0-FX? Or any currency pair for that matter? They have gaps all over the place for on my system. The gap on the daily chart for GBP is fixed however.
          I'm attaching a 720 minute chart of GBP A0-FX and I see do see alot of gaps. Never noticed it on 1m 5m 60m 240m 480m or daily.

[QUOTE][B]
          I think my system is sufficient. Its 1GB ram 3.4 GHz P4. I only have 2 charts open. I do change time frames frequently, but today I didnt get very far in my studies because I couldnt pull up the charts I wanted.
          /B[QUOTE]

That's more then adequate for a few charts and common studies.
          I found that once I start loading multiple sysmbols with 120 days of 1 minute data things can slow down considerably. Also if you backtest with 1-5min having you need a fast box.

[B][QUOTE]
          Overall I like esignal so far. This chart problem is kinda bad for me right now however. I really need to look at the longer minute charts. I even tried reinstalling esignal but it didnt help.
          /B[QUOTE]

Hey esignal is what it is, the amount of time I've had to spend "programming" strategies to get accurate results that I never had to do with tradestation is unbelievable.

I not waving the Esignal flag here, but for price data, availability, charting, and programability (EFS2) it's the best on the street.

and most importantly the help you get from the moderators of the forums........is invaluable, they will assist, diagnose, and I've seen many times code up programs for people (unfortunately for me I've not been that lucky!) that is truly unique.

Glen
          Last edited by demarcog; 09-22-2006, 06:25 AM.
          Glen Demarco
          [email protected]

Comment

Tried to edit the prior post to correct the quoting error and attach a 720min chart of the GBP A0-FX to show the gaps and cannot edit it...sorrry......

(If can't figure out how to do a simple thing like quoting a simple message then maybe I should seriously rethink programming my own EFS studies..!)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by demarcog; 09-22-2006, 06:39 AM.
            Glen Demarco
            [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for posting the image. That's about what some of my chart intervals look like.

What's really strange is that it was working fine the past few days. I had a couple of instances where the charts had gaps in them, but for the most part it was fine.

I wonder if something has changed on the server side that caused the times to get out of sync.

Comment

BTW are you sure you're not getting gaps on the 240 and 480 min charts?

I am, but they are far less that on the 720 min chart. For instance if I pull up a 240 min chart, it looks pretty good. Except there is one small lone gap candle on 9/05/06. Also if I scroll back to July I see lots of gaps.

And actually now that I look closer there is a large gap about 12 bars ago. Its harder to see but its a pretty big gap. However, if I look at the 60 min chart I see no gap there.

Any idea who I need to speak with to file a bug report on this?

Comment

Originally posted by oortcloud
                  BTW are you sure you're not getting gaps on the 240 and 480 min charts?

I am, but they are far less that on the 720 min chart. For instance if I pull up a 240 min chart, it looks pretty good. Except there is one small lone gap candle on 9/05/06. Also if I scroll back to July I see lots of gaps.

And actually now that I look closer there is a large gap about 12 bars ago. Its harder to see but its a pretty big gap. However, if I look at the 60 min chart I see no gap there.

Any idea who I need to speak with to file a bug report on this?
                  I didn't notice that but glad you did, this is something that definately should be corrected.

You may want to do a quick search of the forum/knowledge base "gaps charts" but normally the esignal moderator will usually respond within a day...
                  Glen Demarco
                  [email protected]

Comment

Can someone at eSignal take a look at this? It shouldn't take long to verify. Just open up something like GBP A0-FX in a long term intraday chart like 480 or 720 min.

Regards,
                    Mark

Comment

(Update: I have opened an issue regarding the same problem on Post "Data Corruption in Live and replay for back testing", I've just attached to that post data and screenshots that may be related to this issue).

Hello,

I just wanted to add that I had the same problem on the 5 minutes twice and once on the 15 minutes and once on the 3 minutes.

In each case the gap was the cause of time data missing from the x axis, where a few bars would be missing completely.

I don't think it's specific to a time period. I cannot reproduce it again.

I've only had that happened when I'm looking at Currency Pairs.
                      Last edited by SafwanHak; 09-24-2006, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your posts, I have looked into this issue you are referrring to and it is a bug caused by the different timezones and the timezones of our servers. We are working on this and will get it resolved in a later build of our software.

If you have any questions regarding this, please let me know.

kind regards,
                        Graeme Ballard,
                        eSignal Support

Comment

Hi GraemeB,

Thanks. are you fixing the server for now? the incorrect data is affecting all the technical analysis that I have running. If not, I need a temporary work-around so that I don't put a trade in because of data corruption.

Thanks
                          Safwan

Comment

Bug(ged)

I'm curious about a work around as well. For Forex traders, this is a serous issue... now I'm paying monthly fees for a service that is admittingly inaccurate.

Stephen

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your posts.

Our engerneering department is working to resolve this issues around the clock.
                              I know this issue affects the work which you do on long term charting, but the real time charts and charts under 240 mins shouldn't be affected. The real time data will be updating correctly and on time. We will continue to fix this issue, but I am not sure a work-around will be availiable before the issue is actually resolved.

Thanks,
                              Graeme Ballard,
                              eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
                              X