Data Mgr freezing - "not getting enough time..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Mgr freezing - "not getting enough time..."

I've installed esignal for the first time on one of my computers and the db manager is struggling, sporatically freezing, giving a message:

eSignal Data Manager is not getting enought time to perform its functions.
    --Check to see if any program is running in a DOS Box. Close DOS program and see if this message goes away
    --Another windows application may be temporarily performing extensive tasks. This is okay if message goes away in a few minutes.
    --If this state persists, you may be requesting too much data for your system.

I have 2500 symbols in the esignal charting program...a lot...but on another slower computer it works fine.

Suggestions?

Grilledonions,

I haven't seen that particular message before, but a couple of things come to mind. I'm assuming this is a Page file, but the same principle should apply to Layouts as well. You may also want to read through the following article from the eSignal Knowledge Base regarding Freezing and Slow Performance.

Is eSignal being opened with this particular Page file as the default? If so, you may want to try opening a lower intensity / size Page file and then switching to the Page file in question once the DM is fully connected.

How large is this Page file? The larger the file size, the longer it will take to load.

Does the machine in question meet the Power User System Requirements?

Because this Page file loads ok on another machine, we can assume that the Page file isn't corrupted. You may want to keep an eye on your CPU resources in the Windows Task Manager as a barometer of resource use. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by DuaneG
      Grilledonions,

I haven't seen that particular message before, but a couple of things come to mind. I'm assuming this is a Page file, but the same principle should apply to Layouts as well. You may also want to read through the following article from the eSignal Knowledge Base regarding Freezing and Slow Performance.

Is eSignal being opened with this particular Page file as the default? If so, you may want to try opening a lower intensity / size Page file and then switching to the Page file in question once the DM is fully connected.

How large is this Page file? The larger the file size, the longer it will take to load.

Does the machine in question meet the Power User System Requirements?

Because this Page file loads ok on another machine, we can assume that the Page file isn't corrupted. You may want to keep an eye on your CPU resources in the Windows Task Manager as a barometer of resource use. Hope this helps.
      It freezes if I start esignal with more than 400-500 symbols in the quote window. I ran the diagnostic program but it didn't identify anything suspicious.

The computer is otherwise a fairly high end system, running winXp, amd 4800x2, 3gb ram etc. When the data manager freezes, nothing comes up in the task manager as using excessive cpu resources either. I tried running esignal and the data manager in 'single processor mode' as well but same results.

I tried manually (using a script) adding the symbols one by one in an empty quote window and it seemed to be successful, getting up to 800 symbols w/o the datamanager freezing (when my script crashed). However when I closed and reopened esignal, it couldn't handle the entire 800 symbol quote window at once again.

Basically the only differences between the two machines are that this one uses a large ramdisk, and also has dual monitors, using an nvidia card. (I tried running in single monitor mode as well, but no improvement.)

Comment

Working...
      X