X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renko Chart Questions.

On 10/04/06 I was watching with the following:

Symbol OIH, 1 minute Renko Chart, Box .05, HL/2

At 13:27, the last Renko brick had a high of 120.30 and a low of 120.25.

The next down brink didn't appear on the chart until 13.31 when two down bricks painted with a low of 120.15.

The one minute candlestick chart at 13.31 has a low of 119.96, almost 20 cents (3+ Renko chart box sizes) lower. Should these lower prices be reflected in the Renko Chart?

As another example symbol EUR A0-FX on 10/06/06 using .0005, HL/C 5 Minute interval. There is a bar at 07:55 with a low of 1.2666 another bar (actually 6) was not painted until 8:35.

Looking at the one minute candlestick chart of the same symbol, at 8:30 there was a high of 1.2714 64 pips higher yet, this price action is not reflected in the Renko chart?

Is this corrrect behavior for the building of Renko charts or does there appear to be something wrong?

If so, I would appreciate if can someone please provide some informationon on how the algorithm works?

I also have another problem where a moving average and other indicators seem to after a short period of time get plotted incorrectly. Is this the same "drifting" problem I see in several earlier posts and if so is there a way to correct the problem?

Am I correct in saying that Renko charts, like point and figure, seem designed more for a longer term analysis rather then "real time analysis"?

The reason I ask this is that depending on the volatility of the market, the price recorded in the most current Renko bar can be significantly different from where the market is actually trading?

Wouldn't this also almost guarantee in volatile markets that the price recorded by the strategy backtester which only "sees" the current Renko price bar, that the profit/loss results cannot be accurate?

Are there any techniques to eliminate the apparent "forward looking" characteristics of Renko charts when backtesting?

For example if I ran a strategy against the OIH 1 minute data today and a trade was generated at 13.31 the price range within the last Renko bar was .20 cents away from the "real" market and this was on a 1 minute chart, on a 5min or longer there could be a much larger difference between price recorded and the actual price?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by demarcog; 10-06-2006, 09:37 AM.
    Glen Demarco
    [email protected]

Hello demarcog,

Sorry for the delayed response here. Regarding your questions about Renko, the key to how and when the Renko bars are added to the chart are dependant on the interval of the chart and the price source set for the Renko chart. In your 1-min chart example, at the end of each 1 minute interval, if the HL/2 price has exceeded your specified box size amount then a new Renko bar will be added to the chart. If the HL/2 price exceeded twice the amount of the box size, then two new Renko bars are added to the chart. The new bars are not based on the close, or current price of the chart symbol unless you set the price source for the Renko chart to Close.

Regarding your question about indicator drift and back testing, we've covered these in the other threads where you've asked similar questions. If you still have any questions about these, please let us know.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

JasonK,

Thank you very much, as usual you nailed it cold.

Sorry for overlooking the HL/2 specification as it can make a significant difference.

There is no need to ever apologize for any "delay" in responding, no problem whatsoever and quite understandable considering the number of posts.

Given the quality of all your repsonses, it's always well worth the wait.

thanks glen..
      Glen Demarco
      [email protected]

Comment

Working...
      X