Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why does it take so long to load a tick interval chart ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why does it take so long to load a tick interval chart ?

Why does it take so long to load a tick interval chart for ES ? I see some old threads discussing this type of issue, but nothing in the past couple years. Using version 8.0 build 782 it takes several minutes to load an ES #F 89T chart without any studies. Please provide an explanation and any work arounds that may be helpful.
    Thanks -
    Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
    You have very valid questions in that Tick charts have traditionally take a little longer to build then interval charts. We've done some rough numbers on our side to better explain the process.

Let me also say there is no way to estimate how long this would take as every machine's different and not all running the same applications. But here is what we know.
    On our server store data two way. Raw tick data and one minute interval. When making the request for interval data is pretty easy to download the one minute intervals and convert it to desired interval the user wants. For example,5, 10, or even 60 minutes charts. The ticks are the same way. The user request the data from the server, the server downloads ALL the tick data to the local machine. In the case of the S&P E-Mini its about 2.3 million ticks of data being download on to the local machine for a 10 day period. Depending on the speed of the clients Internet connections this can be done in as quickly as 10 to 15 seconds but in most cases more like 20 to 30 seconds. When the download is completed, the local machine started building the specified interval the user wants (In this case 89 tick interval bars). This portions of the process time is going to depend on the local machine. What other applications are running, available RAM, and processor speed as it is doing all the work to build the chart. Afer all the data has been processed through it is then plotted on the advanced Chart.
    What eSignal is doing to speed up the process: We’re close to launching CID Support which will involve a significant upgrade to our Server Farm. After the CID's are implemented, eSignal will be in a better position to address and improve the amount of time it takes a Tick Chart to load.
    Last edited by eSignal_AveryH; 11-07-2006, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Re: why does it take so long to load a tick interval chart ?

Originally posted by jh109052
      Why does it take so long to load a tick interval chart for ES ? I see some old threads discussing this type of issue, but nothing in the past couple years. Using version 8.0 build 782 it takes several minutes to load an ES #F 89T chart without any studies. Please provide an explanation and any work arounds that may be helpful.
      Thanks -
      Jennifer
      Just one thing to add to what Ahodgee said, I would recommend a registry cleaner for your machine such as ccleaner to free up any wasted resources...

Comment

Working...
      X