Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large period moving averages

Hi,

I'm trying to place a daily chart's 8 ema onto a 15 minute chart. To do this, I open a 15 minute chart, add an MA study, exponential, and in the length field I type in the 15-minute chart's equivalent of a daily chart's 8ema: 1248. Unfortunately, this doesn't do the trick b/c there's no line; it's too short.

Does anyone know how to do what I've described above?

Thanks,

John

mascurioso,

On your "advanced chart" right click and go to FORMULAS > EFS 2 CUSTOM > CUSTOMMA.EFS then enter your parameters in the prompted window as shown below in the chart.
    Last edited by FibbGann; 11-08-2006, 06:10 PM.
    Excellent book on JavaScript for beginners

Comment

Oops... Here is the chart example.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks FibGann. This looks like what I'm looking for. Why does it look so stair-steppy, though? Is there anything I can do to smooth out the curve a bit?

Comment

mascurioso,

Your welcome. The reason it looks like a stair step is because your calling a MA from a higher time frame to plot on a shorter time frame. When you do this the value of the higher time frame only has one value returned per that period. So, If you run this on a 15 minute chart it will be flat lined for the equivalent of a one day time period.

Just like if you were to call a 15 minute 8 EMA and run it on a 3 minute chart it would show the same value/flat line for 15 minutes.

Comment

Thanks Fibb. Much appreciated.

Comment

Thanks! this EFS is very helpful; however, larger lengths on the Daily interval seems to be inaccurate (such as 100 & 200 lengths on a Daily interval). Is there a fix for this?

Comment

kevinmclark,

Can you be more specific on the interval you are using? For example are you pulling a 200 day MA from a "daily chart" and plotting it on a 15 minute chart?
                The more specific you can be the easier I can attempt to answer your question.

Comment

Pulling 100 & 200 day MAs from a "daily chart" and plotting them on a 3500 volume chart.
                  Last edited by kevinmclark; 11-10-2006, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Working here.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by FibbGann; 11-10-2006, 01:19 PM.

Comment

kevinmclark
                      It is working fine also here.
                      You may want to post an image that illustrates the problem you are seeing
                      Alex

Comment

I figured it out. I had to use the continuous symbol for the ES. Thanks again!

kevin

P.S. Is there a similar efs for keltnerArEmaAdj.efs so I can plot daily keltner bands on a 3500v chart?

Comment

kevinmclark

P.S. Is there a similar efs for keltnerArEmaAdj.efs so I can plot daily keltner bands on a 3500v chart?
                          You can find a Keltner Channel study enabled for multiple intervals here
                          Alex

Comment

Thanks!!!

Comment

kevinmclark
                              You are most welcome
                              Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X